Very Slow Board Query API Responses During Morning Hours

We’re currently seeing very slow response times for “simple” GraphQL requests. I use “simple” lightly – it’s simple from a request standpoint.

We load a snapshot of all of our active Monday.com boards into our data warehouse regularly throughout the day. Our production request calls use a limit of 10 boards and we paginate through them. We’re at the point that this is taking more than 90 minutes now during the morning hours.

Here’s total execution time throughout a “typical” day, all times Central. As you can see, the total execution time drops considerably as the day progresses.

Start Time Duration
6:15 AM 55 min
7:15 AM 90+ min (timeout)
8:15 AM skipped
9:15 AM 75 min
10:15 skipped
11:15 66 min
12:15 skipped
13:15 67 min
14:15 skipped
15:15 60 min
16:15 60 min
17:15 38 min
18:15 37 min

At first, I thought the issue was too many boards, so we archived all of our boards older than 3 months, but the issue persisted. To troubleshoot, I’ve made single requests to gauge their responsiveness during these morning periods. For example, the query below, the response time is 40s! This call is being made directly from the API Playground for only 5 boards. A single board takes 10s. The complexity for 5 boards is 155,150 and for a single board is 31,038.

I’ve trimmed the query down to the bare bones of fields we need for reporting so not sure there are any wins to be gained from eliminating any more fields. Are there other things we could do to speed these queries up, particularly in the AM to get our team reporting team ready for the day?

query ($limit: Int, $page: Int)
{
    boards (limit: $limit, page: $page) {
    id
    name
    workspace_id
    state
    columns {
      title
      id
      type
    }