Excel Import in Board - Greater column support

Currently excel import in board do not support certain columns, for instance, location, files, dropdown, and people column. Will be nice to have these columns supported.

Also, there’s no option to directly import excel data to subitem. Will be great if we can direct import the data to subitem instead of importing it as main item then only convert to subitem. Thanks! :grinning:

Specifically, it would be great if you could add support for “timeline” and “location” column types when importing from excel.

As a side-request, it would have been useful if I had known that the timeline column type wasn’t supported before I suggested import from excel as a solution to my boss’ problem. Could you add a list of column types that are/aren’t supported by import to that article?

Thanks,
Josh

Hi @joshua.davison!

Thanks for this feedback! There is an open suggestion in our internal feedback board for our product team to consider the support of a location column when importing from excel. I will add one for timeline as well.

In regards to the article, I am sorry that caused an inconvenience with the solution you presented to your bosses. I will inform the customer facing team so they consider revising the article as suggested.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi @ErickE-monday.com - has there been any movement on this? Since writing this in May, I have had 2 other users ask me how they can import a timeline, and I’ve had to sadly tell them it’s not possible.

I’m surprised this request hasn’t had any votes. How are people who are migrating from other platforms or from planning everything in excel achieving this? Having separate start and end date columns obviously doesn’t work very well on the timeline view, and the timeline view is one of the big selling points of the platform for our users. Alternatively from supporting import of timeline column, how about some sort of feature or function that would enable users to merge two date columns into 1 timeline column.

Josh

3 Likes

@ErickE-monday.com I do not want to distract from the original purpose here - timeline type is very useful to have an Excel import functionality for. I’d also suggest adding support for Long Text to this item. Currently I have to change Long Text columns to Text, import items, and then change them back to Long Text to import new items from Excel, which can cause a bit of a headache.

1 Like

in addition…checkboxes would be helpful too!

1 Like

I’d like to express the need for Monday to help make this happen. It seems as I design my board i spend alot of time re-designing it with many many workarounds. I was hoping the import process would not limiting to get data into a board. Certain columns like PEOPLE, FORMULAS i can understand not supporting but raw data especially DROPSDOWN should be supported. I was building my template with excel dropdowns only to now learn I’m unable.

I’m ranting alittle so that maybe there’s hope to re-visit this. I understand alot of revenue is being made by purchasing Add-Ons but there’s should be certain features native to Monday especially when it comes to importing data. Thanks for listening!