Export/Import from Excel + How to merge two date columns?

Hello,

I tried to export one board from Monday.com to Excel and the format that I get is quite OK. The only thing is that the timeline column gets divided in two different columns (Timeline - Start & Timeline - End). If I import the same Excel file, that’s where I find some limitations:

• Only some types of columns can be selected (text, date or status).
  • The groups that I had on Monday.com are merged all together in just one group.
  • The timeline columns are imported as date columns and could be transformed to timeline type, but they stay separated.

With the first two points I could more or less survive without a solution (if any way to mitigate it would be nice), but is there any way to merge two timeline columns together (Timeline - Start & Timeline - End), so I only have one Timeline column with the start and end date together.

Thanks!

Hi @SimonAcu

The Excel import doesn’t handle monday timeline columns and in this scenario you indeed end up with a start and an end date. There is an app in the marketplace that converts these two dates back to a timeline. See: https://monday.com/marketplace/18

2 Likes

It is really frustrating that this basic functionality of concatenating two dates on import to generate a timeline is missing which impacts our usage of gantt charts. it is more frustrating that the ‘solution’ is to buy a app separately…

4 Likes

Clearly it is a basic and so annoying to have to treat hundred of lines by hand :angry:

We, as users, don’t define what should be basic functionality, that is up to monday.com. The platform has the ability to create add-ons (apps) where you can enhance the platform to your specific needs. These apps can be build by yourself (even using codeless solutions like Make) or you can buy them from developers (in most cases for very small amounts).

Hi @SimonAcu,

You may try our Smart Spreadsheet for monday app for the case: use Excel-like features right on monday without switching between platforms.

With the help of the Smart Spreadsheet for monday you’ll be able to import/export your Excel data (in xlsx or csv formats) and boards with items as well. Then you may work with the data as a fully functional spreadsheet (filtration, cell formulas, conditional formatting, pivot tables, charts, etc.) securely in one place.

Try a free trial now.

Please feel free to ask any questions about the app. We’ll be more than happy to assist you.

Stiltsoft,
Katerina Kovriga

3 Likes