Formula Field Value to Item Name

Hello! Is anyone experienced with this?

I want to rename a list of Items with an existing field value

Check the first three columns

How can I change the item from “Elizabeth” to “Elizabeth Garcia”? I don’t see an option to configure the first column

1 Like

You can use the Concatenate function. Create a formula column, under functions choose the function ‘Concatenate’. then use the columns field to select the other columns that you want to combine. The add a space between the columns in the formula add " " between the column names as one of the values to combine.

Thank you, I already managed to merge the fields.

As you can see “Elizabeth” and “Garcia” were merged. The result is the third column.

However, I can’t find a way to add the third column values to the item heading/name.

I want the field that says “Elizabeth” to say “Elizabeth Garcia”.

It looks like it can only be changed manually one by one

I’m sorry, I misunderstood. I don’t know of a way to make a formula to change the item name. Sorry.

1 Like

@joselobou Welcome to the Monday Community!

No you cannot modify other fields from a formula column. I think this is a common misconception of what the formula column does. To clarify the Formula Column is a client side only(user, NOT monday), visual only, horizontal only, representation of an items data transformed by functions. Formula Columns never modify other columns(aside from additional Formula Columns). Because they are client side only, they are not currently supported by any automations or integrations.

There is a low code way to do this automatically: Integromat or Zapier.

I like Integromat because they have a free tier. For example, you can set up a scenario with any trigger and then the action you need is the Update Column Values of a Specific Item

Full List of Triggers & Actions (scroll down)

Choose the “Name” column and then you will need to use a function similar to CONCATENTE, I think its called join on Integromat, to adjust the name of the item.

If you need additional help setting this up, feel free to contact me.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

This helps, I will look into it @andrewalmand

Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.