I am new to Monday.com. Below image is my project info board (work in progress).
- I created a concatenate formula to have 1 column with the full project name (client + Job # + Project Name).
- What I cannot figure out is how to display the concatenate column as the Name Item Column - help.
- I do not see a way to run a formula on the name item column (preset 1st column), is this possible?
- I found the General Caster app which looked promising, but when I select its preset formula “When (column) changes, perform (formula) and cast result to item name” the Concatenate formula column is not available in the list of (Columns)… General Caster looks like a good solution, but I am obviously missing something in either what formula to use, or how to have a formula column available for selection.
Any advice on options to automate the Name Item Column are super appreciated!
Welcome to the Community!
I’m afraid it’s not possible to use a formula or automations in the Item name column.
It’s also not possible to do this via General Caster either I’m afraid.
The only workaround I could suggest here would be to export your board, concatenate the Item names as you’d like and then re-import the data.
You can import in to an existing board, and set the logic of the import up so that it overwrites the existing data.
You can read more on this here: Import & export with Excel
I can definitely appreciate how this would be a useful addition to the platform for yourself, and I’m sure for other teams too, so I would highly recommend opening a thread in our Feature Request section.
Here other users who would also like this added to the platform will be able to upvote the feature!
You can find this here: Feature feedback - monday Community
Sadly monday formulas results are not available to Apps, including General Caster.
I believe you could:
- create again the Concatenate column using General Caster
- then apply its Automation.
or maybe even just do it in one go in the General Caster automation, with a longer formula?
Try asking their support for specific help.
You might also look into Make or Zapier if this does not work, as the change_simple_column_value Api call allows you to edit the name column value for a specific item of a specific board.
Thanks so much @LaurentConroux for your additional comments here!
@TLC-Troy it’s worth also noting that if you are looking to perhaps try using Zapier or Make, we have a ‘No code’ category of the Community that you might find helpful to look at.
This is managed by our Dev Success team
You can find this here: FAQs - No-Code (Zapier, Integromat, etc) - monday Community