General Caster is here. Get rid of formula columns!

Hey @DaveFiorante, we have recently updated General Caster and now it casts formula result to many column types.
In addition we have fixed Currency recipe and now it supports conversions to any currencies.

Documentation is available here:
https://general-caster.omnidea.it/documentation.html#how-formula-works

Hi Rob, I’ve just signed up and am using your beta version. Am having trouble (caused by my own stupidness, no doubt) getting my formula to work. Do you guys have a support email I could use please? Would really love some assistance please.

Hey @MarkHHH
Just use the feedback button at the bottom of this page.

can I do this: “when status/formula changes to something, set timeline dates to…” ?

Hey @danaaviv. Timeline requires two dates (from -> to) while General Caster can cast a single result. If something like 2020-09-01;2020-09-15 can be ok for you, we can split the result and use parts for timeline.

Thanks Rob. I’ve sent a couple of messages, but as yet haven’t received a reply?

Hey @MarkHHH.
Sorry for my silence. Watching the video you sent right now.

@danaaviv Here’s the Date to Timeline tip:

1 Like

wow amazing! thank you so much

Hi Rob, in my Master-Detail app I do calculations on entire columns (full board only) and the challenge here is to get triggers on column changes. As a duplicate item in the UI does not trigger a column_change event you need to have both column_change and add_item triggers and find out in the backend if the add_item includes a value in the column where your calculation is based on.

I am still missing a trigger for “delete_item”, so there is currently no possibility to ensure your (e.g.) sum of a column is always up-to-date. It gets even more difficult when you want to do sum of columns for a specific group. For this we are missing a “change_group” trigger.

Love to have a discussion with you on this topic.

-Bas-

1 Like

Hey @basdebruin.
Thanks for your feedback.
As you said, currently there’s a problem in how and when actions are triggered.
In addition, querying an entire board and updating an entire column are “heavy” operations, especially with large matrices.
My first concern is about speed. We are still struggling to get prompt updates for a single item, from trigger to formula to update, and this is something monday should improve.

1 Like

General Caster is coming soon in Apps Marketplace!

1 Like

That looks awesome @rob, I love the look of the app there :slight_smile: Glad you’re adding more and more features and keeping the quality high here.

-Alex

1 Like

Thankyou @rob, looking forward to hearing your thoughts! :grinning:

Is there any info when will marketplace be available for us so we can enjoy in some of the great apps, like General Caster, people are making?

1 Like

Hey @MarkHHH.
I’ve just took a look at your video.
You can definitely get ideas from the Formula column and copy/paste it to get your General Caster formula, but you need to change all column references with correct placeholders (for example {item.date} and not Due Date).
Use column buttons at the bottom of formula field to retrieve them.

1 Like

Hey @Marko.
You need to contact monday support for marketplace public launch.

@Markoi was wondering the same, did Monday confirm that?

Could you help
I have this formula
CONCATENATE(“找不到项目”,{item.text74});{item.text74}
I can make the hyperlink work but I want to use the text field also as the display name so I added “;” the text field but that casts an error

Love the app! Solved a big chunk of our headache on monday.com
However the integration has stopped working and we are desperately trying to fix it. It says that usage limit has been reached. How can we unlock it for continued usage? Is there any pro plan we have to subscribe to? Please advise.

Thank you!

2 Likes