How to increment count in one board based on new columns created in another board?

Hello!

I have a board (Board A) where I log all the times I took a certain action, let’s say “Cooking” and “Cleaning”. I log the date of occurence, make notes, and then use a label column to mark the task as either “Cooking” or “Cleaning”. The “item” in this case is just the date.

I have another board (Board B) where my items are those tasks, so one row is “Cooking”, with some files and text for description. Another row is “Cleaning”, with those same columns.

I’d like to make a new column in Board B to log the number of times a certain action was logged in Board A. So let’s say now we have two items in Board B, “cooking” and “cleaning”, with a column named “Occurences”. In Board A, I have 5 items with the label “cooking”, and 7 items with the label "cleaning. I’d like the “Occurences” column in Board B to display “5” for the “Cooking” row, and “7” for the cleaning row.

How do I achieve this in base Monday? I have tried several methods unsuccesfully.

1 Like

Hi @tom.wei :wave:

There was a couple of ways I played with setting this up but none that were bullet proof. There are some automations that will allow you to increase/decrease a number column by a set value but the triggers for this are limited and I kept running into integrity issues in that the trigger effecting the count isn’t specific enough (column change as opposed to status is something).

So if you connected them automatically based on the label you apply in board A, but needed to change that label or remove it, the connection will count as 1, the label change would count as 1, and the removal is a change in the column so that would count too.

I hope that makes sense. I think there would be alternative ways to approach it (I can already think of others to try but can’t spend more time on it right now) and would be happy to explore them on a call with you - let’s make time together.

What did you already try?

Peta | Upstream Tech
peta@upstreamtech.io
+613 9067 5611
Chat with Peta

This can be achieved with the Rollup Multiple Boards app but to be honest if you have only one board A the app is probably an overkill for you. The app is designed to have multiple detail boards (board A) rolling up to one or more master boards (board B). It then aggregates data from the detail boards to put in the master board. It can sum (e.g. the hours) and count (e.g. the occurrences of “Cleaning”.

Hi @tom.wei , you could make a dashboard that rolls up the counts of a label across several boards, natively without an app. However it seems like you’re looking for it to behave more like a column to give context. For example if Request A is logged, you can see that tame label has been logged X times which adds some context if it’s frequent, once off etc. You might need to write a [formula]( Formula Use Cases – Support (monday.com))