Internal-Only Comments

We use shared boards a lot to manage client projects. In these instances, our staff are internal members and clients have Guest access to the board. There are often instances where we would like to ask questions or share thoughts on a task internally without the client being able to see them. In Jira this is possible with tickets using their “Internal Comment” option. I would like to see something similar in Monday so that most comments are public, but when required a comment can be flagged as internal and is no visible to Board Guests.

Since I posted this about a month ago I don’t seem to see any real response from anyone. Do I take it that this is not a general problem. Am I missing some work-around that others are using to hide internal comments from external contributors?

I’ve been asking for this exact type of feature too. I would like my client to see the progress on their work but not which staff member and what they’re saying (we all work out in the field, so messaging is a key feature internally to keep everyone in the loop). Instead I think they’ve offered that I put a text column in and hide that from view for clients and my staff can write in the instead.

1 Like

I can see a real benefit here. Now we comment in an item when the client is ‘allowed’ to see it. The rest of the conversation takes place on Slack with an url to the monday item. This makes the comment stream in monday incomplete.

4 Likes

This is important to my company’s expansion to how we use the service.

I recently got a customer comment like “I’m not sure I need to see your internal back and forth”.

We would actually add a few licenses to our account if this were a feature - we have some users contributing as guest which we would want to have internal feedback capability.

2 Likes

The only reason we still use JIRA integrated with our monday.com is to have a completely internal linked system for just such internal conversations.

We would stop using JIRA entirely if there was an internal only discussion feature (and not only for Enterprise level). It would need to be very obvious that you are replying only internally so team members don’t accidentally expose internal discussions to Guests. So I’m imagining a separate “Internal Notes” Item view panel, rather than a setting you have to remember to click when making an Update.

1 Like

This is a great idea. Salesforce has similar functionality, with a “public” checkbox, so that you have to make a deliberate effort to publicize a comment, to ensure that nothing internal gets out to clients.

This seems like it would be fairly easy, and would be very, very helpful. Thank you.

2 Likes

I mentioned this request in a different thread. Feature Request: Private Notes / Hide from Guests - #9 by JordanD
And yes, internal comment feature like Jira’s would be awesome!

3 Likes

Definitely need something like this. (Hated a lot about Basecamp, but really loved this feature.) Without it, I resort to creating a separate board for internal use, but then the project is split unnecessarily. Or I send emails with links to the relevant pulse.

Neither is awesome. Private comments or internal comments would be huge for my workflow.

3 Likes

Wow, it seems as though this is a really niche request, I can’t believe that after this period of time there are only 12 up-votes.

Does no-one ever see the need to hide internal comments from board guests? If not, how are you solving this problem?

If you do, then please add your vote otherwise we will never get this resolved.

4 Likes

This is easily the top feature we feel is missing from the platform. We simply want the way Basecamp does it (where a thread can be flagged as internal or client-facing) to exist within this tool, as well. Seriously, just ‘copy-paste’ that idea into Monday.com.

I want to clarify, just in case, that we do understand that we can lock / hide columns. This is not that helpful. We want to lock / hide entire rows of conversational / internal interaction.

As others have noted, our process right now is to have our internal messaging occurring in slack while we use Monday.com as the more client-facing aspect of an engagement. This is not optimal for a variety of reasons.

6 Likes

I run a video production company and we have considered switching to Monday.com for several years and keep checking back to see if they’ve added the internal communications feature. I can only imagine, we’re one of MANY other creative agencies that would consider switching if this feature was added. ARE YOU LISTENING MONDAY.COM?

3 Likes

Any chance this will be added to monday’s roadmap. Looks like there are two threads going on the same topic, Feature Request: Private Notes / Hide from Guests.

2 Likes

This type of feature is imperative to how we are using Monday to manage project related issues…but alas, we’ve had to resort to other methods to internally collaborate on items without the guest users (customers) seeing our internal conversations, updates, etc.

1 Like

I dont agree with you :roll_eyes: I think that the boards of Monday are Perfect .
I apriciate you , but this is my opinion .

This internal-only notes option is hugely important for our company to grow our Monday.com use, would love some movement on this from Monday?

1 Like

This is an important feature for us. Please consider adding it to Monday. Thank you!

2 Likes

This feature will really decide whether or not we continue to use Monday. Whilst we can have internal and external boards, it’s a bit of a faff if I’m honest!

1 Like

@CSG @CXS @Dani hey guys, this would also be really interesting for us. Do you have any updates on this feature?

Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, this feature would allow us to share much more with our clients. Any updates would be appreciated. Not only would it help us as existing clients, I think it would also benefit Monday to have your boards shared as widely as possible for exposure to the platform.