Keep columns from original items to duplicates

Hello! :slight_smile:

I’m running into an issue here which I thought I had figured out - and unfortunately not.

To give you some context, there are 3 different companies using the same Monday account since our workflow either goes from company 1 to company 3 or from company 2 to company 3. Therefore, we have a board for each company.

As company 1 and 2 are similar, what I want to achieve is when a certain status is selected (in either board), it duplicates the item and all its subitems to board 3.

With that said, I have initially tried to simply create a new item in board 3 when status is selected in board 1 or 2 by specifying the columns. However, the subitems don’t follow.

Therefore, I then tried that when status is selected in board 1 or 2, duplicate the item and then move item to board 3. That works like a charm, except I have automations in board 1 and 2 that activate upon item creation.

The problem is, I want the duplicate to keep all dates already registered, the status to remain the same and people assigned as well. But when I duplicate it, the automations take precedence.

Is there a workaround? Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Hi Marie-Eve,

The basic way to fix the problem you describe would be as follows:

1. Create a status column to use as a condition. Let’s call it Duplicate :gear:.
  2. Add Duplicate as a label, then change the default (grey) label to Not Duplicate.
  3. On your “Duplicate” automation, add a step to first set the Duplicate :gear: column status as Duplicate.
  4. On your “on item creation” automations, add the condition Duplicate is Not Duplicate, so you only run the item creation automations on items that are actually new.

I hope this makes sense and works for you. Please let me know!

Beyond this, I would suggest that it might be beneficial to share a board between companies. Would there be any sensitive data? If not, you could easily use filters to separate the process steps and create views specific for each company.

In general, it’s best to only create different boards for different entities not for different permissions or views. There should be something more unique about the entities stored as items on different boards that justifies a different database.

Of course that’s a generalization! There are always exceptions.

Best of luck!

1 Like

Hi Francis,

Thanks for your quick reply. Your solution is working perfectly! You saved me a lot of struggle, thank you. :slight_smile:

For your information, we are 3 different entities and we do have very sensitive information (one of the companies is a law firm). We are working on the same board right now but unfortunately, for legal reasons, we really need to seperate the 3.

Thanks a ton again! You’re a lifesaver.

Have a great day!

1 Like

So happy to help!

1 Like