Linking clients and projects across boards

I’m still new and learning at the moment with this, so please forgive me if this is elementary, but -

I have a board for projects, and a board for clients. I’d like to be able to add a project to the project board and select a client from the clients column (which is linked to the clients board). I’d then like for the project to appear listed as a subitem beneath the client on the client board.

So, something like this:

And as soon as I select a client from the list, this is what I’d like to have happen (here I have just put it in manually):

How do I handle this? It seems like I’d need some way of finding the correct row in the client board that matches the client that has been chosen and add a sub-item with correctly mirrored information from the project board, but I don’t see a clear path to that through the automations or linking options.

1 Like

@jsein did you ever solve for this? I am working through the same exact scenario now. Thank you.

Hi @jsein and @K_Couture :wave:

You’re having trouble because the subitems can be a little bit limited when it comes to automations and mirrors/connected board columns.

I’d be happy to jump on a call together and show you a couple of different layout options for projects and keeping them connected with clients etc.
Let me know if that would be helpful as food for thought :slight_smile:

Feel free to reach me anytime:
+61 3 9067 5611
peta@upstreamtech.io

You can also schedule straight into my calendar as below:
Meet with upstream - Melbourne based hours
International Clients - Special Hours

Peta | upstream

Hi @jsein

• Your current requirement is not currently supported on monday .com as sub-items have limited functionality. However, this could be achieved through custom integration using MAKE.

• A possible solution involves adding a trigger point in the project board. As soon as the client is chosen from the list, a webhook can be sent to the MAKE server. Set up a scenario to access the item and connected column value (Client Data), then create a sub-item using the project details from the project board.

Regards
Neelam B
monday.com Consultant
Damco Solutions