Manually extending Trial of a User does not call the webhook event

Hi developers and monday team,
I am Rasil Baidar from Jobflows. I have a question to ask. Recently one of my client’s trail for Jobflows has ended and we are saving the subscription data of the client in our Backend API service to manage our business logic. Since the clients trail subscription has ended, we want to extend the clients subscription manually from our Developer console. Doing so does not call our API service. This is causing a lot of manual work for developers as we will need to manually create subscription data on our database. This is a lot of headache.
How to solve this issue?

1 Like

Ah, good catch. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Just to confirm, which webhook event would you expect to see here? app_trial_subscription_started?

CC @Matias.Monday

3 Likes

I beg to differ but I don’t think using any the existing subscription webhooks will be helpful.
If anything, a new webhook can be created. The reason being that, it might lead to false data aggregation.
Say, you want to plot the number of users who started a subscription against those who finally purchased a subscription on a graph. Currently, you can. Should the webhook be changed, it will be hard to tell whether a subscription was started or it is a renewal.

3 Likes

Yes it will suffice for now and for future please consider triggering a different hook “app_trial_subscription_extended” just for example.
Thank you for the response.

Also, I notice that when people manually pay monday.com for an app with an invoice, rather than the usual purchase flow, then no app_subscription_created webhook triggered by monday.com’s internal systems either.

This means that we cannot rely on webhooks to calculate our revenue as it’s always off by an amount.

Hello there @Rasil and welcome to the community!

I hope you like it here!

As of today a webhook will not be sent when you manually grant an extension for a trial.

Hello everyone,

Thank you for the feedback!

Your votes have been added for this request :grin:

Cheers,
Matias

1 Like

@dvdsmpsn regarding your last comment, would you be able to please send us an email to appsupport@monday.com so we can take that as a ticket and investigate it?

1 Like

So no Webhook will be sent when we manually extend our clients subscription?

Hello again @Rasil,

There is a request created to add this, but for the moment, no. No webhooks are sent.

Cheers,
Matias

1 Like

Hey @Matias.Monday My apologies, it looks like I’ve made a mistake. I found the webhook that I thought I was missing. Please disregard this:

This means that we cannot rely on webhooks to calculate our revenue as it’s always off by an amount.

2 Likes

Thank you for letting me know @dvdsmpsn !

2 Likes

Hello @Matias.Monday ,

We recently also found out that monday.com does not notify about trial extensions via subscription webhooks. The “app_trial_subscription_started” webhook is received only for new trials, but extending a trial does not trigger this webhook, nor there is any other webhook (like “app_trial_subscription_extended”) that would inform the app about prolongation of the trial.

I find it baffling that using webhooks for licensing logic is recommended, but certain scenarios are not covered. For us it probably means we wasted the effort spent on webhooks and we will have to pull fresh subscription data via GraphQL API with every page load. Even with some caching, this still seems unnecessary; it will probably slow down loading and may cause visual glitches, and it also comes with a drawback of inability to call the ‘app_subscription’ GraphQL API from backend, which means we cannot reliably tell if our API should be accessible or not.

We really want to rely on webhooks so that we minimize loading time and make user experience faster and smoother, but we can’t. Is there any chance monday.com will implement a new webhook that covers the trial extension case soon?

Thank you,
Roman (7pace/Appfire)

Hello there @RomanF,

Would you be able to please add this as a feature request here so that our team can take it into account for future changes?

Cheers,
Mtaias