Mirror Column - Select Entire Board or Group

Monday! Wake Up!

We your customers need this.

I have done IT work for 30 years. I realize this is a hard ask from a programing / database view point, so much code can break. But give us a beta version to test or at least acknowledgement of this issue!

I have installed and evaluated thousands of pieces of software in my life. The reason I pay you every month is because you have the best project management software available! Please don’t make me reevaluate my decision and search for something better for my customers and myself! I don’t think I will currently find anything better. However if your software can’t meet my customers needs then I am forced to move them to a different platform! Please listen when we tell you we need a feature, if you don’t we will leave!!!

Steve

4 Likes

Hi, this is a must-have in order to work with many elements.
Please include this as a top priority in your develpment plan.

5 Likes

I really need this functionality - trying to convince my business to upgrader to enterprise will be impossible without it!

1 Like

We are in the midst of a decision to move our whole enterprise from Asana to Monday but this is essential to achieving full enterprise efficiency.

Any update please? Over two years with no outcome of such a basic feature that is must have for so many. This worries me…

I also agree that an update on this issue is LONG overdue to the community. We have been more than patient, and it is critical to a proper workflow. So much time is spent ensuring new items are reflected, and as we want to go deeper with the product, this limits its potential immensely. Why are you not listening and keeping so many users informed?

1 Like

Hi all!

Firstly, we sincerely apologise for the delay in updating you all. We are working on a process to improve our responsiveness, so really appreciate your patience and understanding in advance.

As for this particular feature, we have noted all of your comments and ensured this has been flagged for review. The team is aware that the functionality of the mirror/connect board column in general needs improving, so please be assured that this feedback is incredibly valuable to us. In full transparency, as of now, we cannot provide a concrete update on this feature, particularly supporting bulk select of a group or board, however we have followed up internally and once provided with more information to share, we will circle back :pray:

2 Likes

Hi @BiancaT. Thank you for your reply. My comments here are meant to help the Monday Team better understand the urgency of this and to emphasize the need for more information and action on this critical core functionality that remains unusable at scale due to the problems noted in this and related threads. I am tagging @danaaviv and @Julia-monday.com who have responded before on this topic, as well as @dipro and @brett-monday.com for their input on my prior post about Monday’s transparency, responsiveness, and development priorities.

I am happy to hear that you all “…are working on a process to improve our responsiveness…”. However, after three years of partial solutions and uncertainty about long-term plans, Monday users need more than that on this topic.

Users have been VERY patient waiting for more substantive information and action on a fully-functional solution. We need more than :pray: and general statements that this is important and the team is aware, but that you can’t provide concrete updates. (See prior Monday responses below).

These “features” are more than just features. Having fully functional data connectivity is fundamental to effective use of Monday as a true relational database and WorkOS platform. That functionality is critical for enterprise-level data management and all the use cases that require reliable and automated data connectivity and integrity. At least for our organization, this is the foundation upon which all other platform functions are based.

We have heard from our Monday consultant that this is being worked on by the Monday Team. However, no details or timeframe have been provided.

Request: Please provide users with a comprehensive update on your specific plans and timeframe for board/item/data connectivity and relational database functionality. Ideally, Monday would create a new forum topic dedicated solely to development and implementation of relational database functionality and provide specific ongoing updates. Thank you for considering.

Some of the prior Monday staff updates on this topic:

Nov. '20:

Feb. '21:

July '21: It looks like this is listed as a 2021 candidate but beyond that I do not have an estimated ETA on when this would be available!

Nov. '21:

Nov. '22:

7 Likes

Entirely agreed with you @hdurey.

Still wanting an update on this…

Update Please - where does this fit into the roadmap??

When can we have an update for this? It is really painful to go and add item per item to be mirrored. I have several items that are constantly been add, changed or get deleted and it is taking me a longer time to add them to the mirrored column than exporting them into excel and do a summary.
Any update is appreciated!

Hi @zlanich, Great idea and thanks to everyone for sharing feedback. We’ve discussed mirroring columns with the development team. Although they agree with the need for this, producing this feature is not immediately planned, due to other priorities and team capacity.

We would love to keep hearing how this feature would impact your workflow. Requests like yours help guide us in prioritizing the features that our customers care about the most. So keep the ideas coming because your feedback does makes a difference in our development plans.

Have another idea? Submit it by opening another topic.

1 Like

You could simply have a project column where you chose the board you want a whole task to mirror on and the entire task mirrors on the selected board in one click. Asana has this function and it works effortlessly, this function is the only reason we cannot get our Engineering department over from Asana to Monday. This enables you to see all tasks assigned to your team on every board all in one place and you can work live on them there and there is no need to go search every single board for what is assigned to you. See the screenshot attached showing how Asana does this.

The mirror and link features have their uses but they are also such a cumbersome and tiresome way of mirroring information as you have to select what to link it to etc and you cannot mirror the actual task so you have to type it out again. This does not work when you have projects with hundreds of tasks and for a program that is meant to reduce effort this limited mirror/link function majorly increases ours.

For example, our company is in manufacturing and we make numerous different machines and we have say 50 Parent Projects Boards, one for each machine and each board has hundreds of tasks for each part that is required. Then on top of them we have say 20 other project boards for other work projects. So now we have 70 boards and to find all the tasks assigned to my team I have to go to each board and filter it. Which is just time wasting and inefficient.

I know there is the my week function but that doesn’t display tasks with all the columns of info and it only works if everything has due dates. I know you can also use the search function and see everything assigned to you on every board but you cannot sort, filter or work live in that view.

The attached image shows how Asana completes this function with one simple project column and it is done in one simple click. There is no time wasted typing out the task again, scrolling through all the tasks to find which one to mirror, which columns to mirror etc Asana is smart enough to just figure out which columns are which and places them accordingly even if the the child board has a different order. Also if the child board doesn’t have a column the parent board does it is just smart enough to exclude it.

YES. My software development team refuses to get on Monday because this seemingly obvious feature is not implemented. Definitely upvoted.

2 Likes

Wow, yeah this would be really helpful.

I’m curious - @scooper what was it that made you want to switch from Asana to Monday?

1 Like

We need this too! It’s cumbersome to have to work on different workspaces with different boards.

1 Like

Another vote for this feature. The ability to have task reside in a project specific board, but also display in a separate task board to facilitate team check-ins would be a much cleaner approach. As it stands, we have create duplicate versions of the same task because there is no way to display it in multiple locations. The mirror column is great for seeing overall status, but not granular perspective.

2 Likes

I think this App will help you VLOOKUP Auto-link

1 Like

@TheOtherPM Monday was more versatile and allowed more possibilities and options than Asana at the time but Monday seems to be falling behind not being able to implement simple functions like this Project Column or alternatively updating the My Week section to show the columns of each task and allow for you to work on everything there from that one screen live and have it updated all boards the task is on. More and software providers are coming out with functions like this making project/task management so much more efficient than having to go to every single individual board to find and update your tasks.

@lever2 If only we could get Monday to listen! Clearly losing customers such as your team over this one simple function and may lose our entire company over it. Alternatively they could update the My Week section to actually be of use and show the columns of each task and allow for you to work on everything there from that one screen live and have it update all the boards the task is on.

1 Like