Shared or mirrored updates for connected items

Feature proposal (2 options):

1. A shared update section that replaces the 2 separate update sections when an item is connected. This would fix all of the below mentioned problems and probably more.

2. A shared or mirrored update column. This is less clean since you would still have separate update sections in each board and an extra column for each connected board you want to share/mirror updates with. But it would be easy to notice new updates and keep communication about that connected item in one spot.

Our case:

We have several overview-boards for different departments where items are created and follow different processes with different steps between different departments. Here items get created and through automation another item in another board, with a different to-do-list if you will, gets created and connected and mirrored in the overview-board.

Problems with updates:

First of all if the item created in the overview board has an update it doesn’t show that update in the update section in the created item on the other to-do-boards. So if an employee writes an update the employees that use the other board won’t know about it. For this we use a text column as a work around for the initial item creation, but now we also have to use that text column in the overview board… So we use 3 forms of messaging in 2 boards for what is essentially the same connected item: a text column, 2 separate update sections.

Secondly: If an employee in the overview board wants to update that item and make sure the employees that manage the other board read it too, that employee has to write the comment twice in both update-sections of what is essentially the same connected item. Just mentioning an employee or item in one update is not a work around because you have to first manually copy the name and explain all employees how it works. And on some boards the connected items dont have the same name either so you would have to look up the name first. We might as well copy the update then, which is just as inefficient and messy.

Wholeheartedly agree with this proposal. We have a similar situation where an overview board is a temporary record connected back to a clients permanent record. I would like any updates to remain with the permanent record even after the overview item is deleted.

Currently, we have to make users go back to the permanent record to add updates, although Lucas, your suggestion of a text column is a good workaround in the meantime. Thanks for that.

6 Likes

I also encounter the same issue. I have a main board and my team’s board. I have connected the boards mirroring all columns of main board. But i cant mirror “updates”. I have to add updates to the projects on both places separately although both boards are connected.

2 Likes

Just wanted to chime in that my company would also really love this feature. We have a main overview board, and then a connected item that goes into each department’s board (Preproduction, accounting, etc). We’d love for there to be a way for us to make sure that all updates can be viewed regardless of which connected item you click on, so that people in different departments don’t miss updates.

Currently it seems there is a paid app that does this (Conversations (monday.com) - Introduction) but this feature feels like something that should be supported natively by monday.com in my opinion (maybe just a checkbox when linking items for “Mirror updates?” would do the trick).

EDIT: I think it’s pretty clear that this is a decently requested feature, as searching for this topic comes up with a number of results like this:

2 Likes

There are so many cases in my Monday setup where this would be useful. Information is getting lost right now that would be simply solved with this change

1 Like

YES!!! we need this too! :pray:

1 Like

We have shareable boards that our 3rd party sales reps use. They can only see their customers and we have it all mirrored to our main board. We also really would like to use the update feature so that if we update on the main board they can see it on theirs and the other way around. We can see their updates without going through each sales reps board.

I really hope they update this feature. I also wish that there was an easier way to mirror all the columns at once. I had to mirror 10+ columns and connect them for multiple sales reps. It took forever!

It would also be great if the automations worked on both boards with the mirrored columns. It should be an option to have everything mirror including the automations. Ex: If status is changed from quoted to won: the item should move to the won group on the original main board and the shared / connected and mirrored board.

1 Like

This is something that we would like to. It really makes the whole cross board automation so less powerful if you have to manually go type in your notes in two spots!
I agree with other commenters that the mirroring process could be so much smoother instead of having to go in manually and add each column. I would love to see an option for a multi-select, where it would allow you to quickly set up what items should be carried over (with the option to NOT include the updates - if you had a client facing board it may not be appropriate).

On a side note, I’d like to set up that if I’m assigned on any board, in any workspace, that it would automatically pull into my personal board. It’s frustrating that there isn’t a global automation system!

@jennap Hi Jenna I saw you referring to my thread in another post. Another solution for this that you could take into consideration is an automation that copies a new update in the linked item.

Can’t find or create one. Could you guide how it can be done please?

Its a suggestion, there is no automation that does that yet as far as I know.

We’re running a portfolio of projects across several departments within an organization that all feed a main workspace through mirrored columns and linked projects. This has over 300 projects and our teams loose so much time copying updates over to the multiple boards a given project is linked to, it’s just so inefficient… We tried using the @<project_name> feature to mention the projects in the other boards but it’s easy to select the wrong ones and it actually doesn’t work the majority of the time. So much critical information is getting lost due to this.

Essentially, if two lines across a board are linked they are the same thing, an update on one should be shown in the other and vice versa.

1 Like

Please Monday, solve this issue…
Why cant we not have the Updates Mirrored between boards?

Here is how monday users solve it with VLOOKUP and EXTRACT apps

Hi Monday Team, we are looking to mirror conversations/updates across boards as well. It seems this topic has come up a number of times over the past several years. Do you have an estimated timeline for the addition of this feature?

In another thread, @jennaap recommended setting up a text column and mirroring that, but this does not allow us to tag team members.

4 Likes

I use one board for a client list and then other boards for client tasks mirroring back to the client list board. This works great except there is no way to mirror the updates or conversations in the tasks back to the client. It would be great if the updates had a way to aggregate back to the client from the task boards.

• 1 on this , creating updates in local board creates an update in the linked board (item)
1 Like

Absolutely necessary! Why this is not there yet?

1 Like

Yes, spending so much time trying to figure out a way to make this happen automatically with current automations. It’s not possible. Should be simple that if an item is duplicated to another board or group that the content is mirrored across all locations.

1 Like

+10000000 on this feature.