Mirroring/Having the same item appear in two different boards

I’m new to Monday, and trying to convince my business to switch from Trello entirely. There are two functions that I can’t believe Trello doesn’t have without expensive add ons, and I have to assume a premium subscription to Monday would support this. I have two questions:

1. Is there a way to mirror entire items? Let me describe my use case: I’m attempting to set up a project “template” so that whenever we receive a new project, we can duplicate the template board, along with all of the task already on the template board, and begin working from it. I would assume this is a relatively popular strategy. Anyway, my company would want to have a “Hot items” board for the project manager and all of the teammates to be able to view at a glance. Through automation, i’ve figured out how to basically duplicate an item and add it to a “hot items” board if I switch the item to a certain priority, but if i do any editing to the item in the “hot items” board, it does not reflect the changes in the actual project board. Is there a function to make this happen?

2. Is there a way to automatically populate a name of an item/task based off of the name of the board that it is in? Use case: I copy my standard project template and name the new board “TEXAS PROJECT.” I have a standard task in every single project board named “Get proposals.” If the “get proposals” item gets moved to a HOT ITEMS board, is there a way to automatically distinguish which project the GET PROPOSALS item goes to in the hot items board?

I’d really appreciate help on these two questions. Thanks.

1 Like

“Link to an item” may get you to 90% of what you are looking for in question 1.

Origin board

• Create item 1

Destination board:

• Add column “Link to an item”
  • Turn off “allow multiple items”
  • Select item to link
  • Whenever item 1 in origin board is updated, see all updates in destination board

The only flaw, is that you can only link it as a column. Which mean it’s not really a duplicate of the item. This flaw made it unusable for my use case, but for you, it might be what you are looking to do.

5 Likes

I am trying to create a overall tasks board through automation. Can’t quite believe this is not there already though, as the My Week function really should cover this.

Have tried with the create item in new board, which creates the item in my all tasks board, but cannot edit it automatically, so if it is ticked as done, it does not edit in the overall board.

But if I have to link every item to every item in the overall board, this really negates the whole point of it.

Bottom line, everyone wants an ‘all my tasks board’ which is automatically updated, and given what I am now paying for Monday, I really though that would be an obvious feature. Could you guys at Monday look at this again?

4 Likes

Hey @Colton19, good questions! In addition to using the link to item column for this, you could also @mention the name of the item in one board in the updates section of an item in another board. This will give a clickable reference to the first item at any time.

I also wonder if you’ve thought about making ‘Hot Items’ a dashboard rather than a board. You could filter by the status or tag ‘hot items’, and then the table widget in a dashboard would combine all the items across boards with this status. It is updated automatically.

Regarding your second question, have you thought about using a status column in conjunction with automations for this? I’m wondering also what your projects look like—are they always boards, or are they represented by groups and items as well?

@CathyOwens, to have an ‘all my tasks’ board, has your team already tried using the table widget and filtering by themselves? I would recommend adding this to the feature requests section of the monday.com community if you haven’t already :slight_smile: https://community.monday.com/c/feature-requests

1 Like

Will the be any development on this issue? Asana does this easily, so I’m quite disappointed that Monday can’t allow for a task to be on two boards at once.

6 Likes

@SarahYoung beyond what my colleague mentioned above, we are working on the capability to have auto-linkage come into play with mirrored items. However, this is still in discovery phase so I do not have an ETA or more details on how this will be achieved in the system just yet. Stay tuned for more to come on this!

1 Like

Have you guys been able to work on adding this feature? It’s pretty lame that a basic feature like this is not available.

2 Likes

Could we have an update on this Naomi? I think there is a lot of interest here. Thanks.

3 Likes

I am interested in the same functionality. Managing several projects, and need some kind overview for specific tasks in each project. This function would provide that.

2 Likes

I and my teammembers recently started to use Monday and mirroring function mentioned above does not seem to solve the gap here. I have multiple boards and many overlapping tasks. Is there an update on this must to have function for any project management tool?

1 Like

After watching a few webinars on linking boards, I finally figured out that the function sought in the original post above doesn’t currently exist in monday. Kind of stunned and disappointed. Please update us on this functionality!!

2 Likes

Has this issue been worked out? I would like to cross reference items from one board to another directly, and i cant seem to find a way to do this. Monday is a greta tool, but this is such a basic concept that im amazed how this has not been worked out… I have a board with ALL architectural projects, to just track their overall development… but then i want to import those projects (items) for a “to do” list sorted by priority… but i cant seem to link them. It should be easy to cross reference an item in multiple boards, am i missing something? cheers

I agree that this is a huge omission. It’s totally feasible for one item to have to appear in multiple boards simultaneously because it touches on multiple projects. I can’t believe this is missing; competing services already offer this as a possibility.

1 Like

It is quite amazing that this issue has been raised years ago and monday.com still haven’t added this relatively simple function, Asana has had it for several years.
I have tried to understand if it is on the roadmap for development, but can’t even locate the roadmap.
If this feature will be rolled out shortly, I will persist with monday.com, but as this feature is a non-negotiable, if it’s not even slated for development, I will have to utilise a different tool.
The support centre has been helpful and responsive, but appear to be unable to communicate whether this feature is in the pipeline for development.

Is there a resolution here? I’ve been hoping on hope for ~8 months that monday.com would implement this, especially since there is such a clear need for it, but am very disappointed this is still not possible.

@naomiCSM What is the timeline for implementing this? There is a clear, vocalized need from your users.

We as well would like to know, if there is any solution with the current functionality or additional frameworks that give us the opportunity to have the same item (customer) across multiple boards with some basic information and the possibility to customize the additional columns/formulas per board.

We have several departments with different needs and permissions in Monday.com but everyone needs the same basic data from our CRM-Board to work with. Has anyone figured out yet, how to make that possible? Right now, we are just adding more and more columns + dashboards into our “main board” resulting in lack of overview, performance and communication to wrong internal recipients.

hi @m.tapparo

Welcome to the community. You can setup mirror columns but it will always be column by column. You can’t mirror a complete item in one go as the board layout might be different. Keep in mind that the mirror columns are “view ports” to the real columns and therefore you can’t run automations / formulas on the mirror columns. Alternatively the Match-Index column app provides an Excel-like MATCH/INDEX functionality. Based on an unique key (MATCH) the content of a specified column (INDEX) is copied (and kept in sync) from the source board(s) to the target board(s). This is the ideal solution if you want to have the customer name and address into different (target) boards, based on a unique customer ID. If the address changes, all target boards linked to the customer board (source) will be updated.

Hi Naomi!

Also onboard with the need for rows to exist in two places at once. We have a main board for higher level tracking of action items, but want those same items to populate into individual workspaces for different departments: HR, AP, Back End, Account Managers, etc.

Any updates on the addition of such a feature?

1 Like

New to monday and our team needs this. The ability to have the SAME item in different board and being able to update it is SUPER importante and not sure why this hasn’t been developed yet.
Please make it happen

1 Like

Like @SevenRooT and @m.tapparo I also need to group tasks from project boards in boards for specific teams.

Most projects, for example, include internal communications tasks. Individual internal comms leads can see their own tasks easily (e.g. My Work), but grouping them in an Internal Comms board would also allow the team manager to see the workload, including pressure points for the team.

An automation to add these items to the comms board, when Status setting (“Communications”) or Tag (#internalcomms) would make this even better.

In our cultural change programme, our current workaround is a GANTT chart which filters items from project boards where a Status column specifies “Comms”. We then use Tags to label each item by the pillars of the programme (#L&D, #Pay&Reward). It provides some visibility, but because the manager cannot click on an item to view the detail, it is decidedly sub-optimal.

Hope this feature appears soon - it is badly needed.

1 Like