New app works until it's moved too firebase

I’ve create a new integration app, which works fine using a local tunnel to my dev machine. When the functionality is ready, I deployed the functionality to Google Firebase functions and updated the Monday.com app URL to invoke, so it points to the firebase function instead of the local tunnel.
After changing the URL, nothing happens any more. On the firebase-side, I don’t even see an invocation. When testing the firebase URL (by POSTing to it), I get a decent error (that the Monday.com JWT token is invalid - I put a dummy value in the request body, so that’s expected). But from Monday.com, it’s not even invoked.

Questions:

  1. Is there a log viewer to see if an app gets invoked, and to see possible errors?
  2. Could the cause be that the URL is too long? The URL is https://europe-west1-xxxxx-xxxxxx-xx-xxx-calendar.cloudfunctions.net/SyncToGoogle (the actual URL has been changed to use 'x’s in this post)

Welcome to our community!

Any chance your version with the new URLs is a draft? When you update configuration in your app, you’ll need to promote that version to the live version. Otherwise the recipes on your board will still be using the old URL.

You can learn more here: App Versioning

I’m wondering about this because I’ve forgotten to promote a draft before. If the recipe is using the old URL and your tunnel isn’t running, you’ll have no idea what monday.com is doing behind the scenes…

Let us know :crystal_ball:

1 Like

Hi,
The app is indeed still a draft - it’s never been promoted to a live version yet. While developing the tunnel, the tunnel changes all the time (at every change of code), and those updates were always reflected by updating the URL.
How to diagnose this issue?
Thanks!

Hi @Jaap-CAD2M! Happy to jump in here.

Ahh okay, but the new URLs are indeed saved in the draft version, right?

I’m happy to take a look and see why this isn’t working for you in our internal logs. Do you mind letting me know the account name (something like EXAMPLE.monday.com) as well as the user that you’re testing your app in?

Thank you!

Hi Helen,

Great - thanks. The board I’m testing the integration with is https://cad2mbv.monday.com/boards/1218415577
My username is jaap@cad2m.nl
The integration on the firebase side is not working yet, so don’t be surprised to get an HTTP error when invoking it (but right now it’s not being invoked at all).

Best,

Jaap

Hi @Jaap-CAD2M!

Okay I sifted through our logs and was able to find an error message relating to the target URL you provided above:

"message" : "Invalid content-type on response from app block server"

I did also see success messages when you were running a local tunnel server…

If you want to give me a more precise time-frame as to when you were testing with the Firebase URL, I can focus on those error messages and see if there’s any discernible pattern.

Thanks!

Hi,
Thanks - any idea what that means?
I just did another request (8:52 local time (The Netherlands))
Thanks,
Jaap

Hi @Jaap-CAD2M,

Hmm sadly I’m not sure I’ve seen this error before. However, I can say that we are definitely sending out requests. Perhaps the Firebase team can better help here?

The response body for the request was a Google site verification:

Hi Helen,

Thanks. This is just a partial screenshot. Any chance that I get the entire log? (Maybe by email instead of in this forum?) I’d like to see the exact URL that is invoked, so I can test it with a REST client as well…

Thanks,

Jaap

Hi Helen,

Mystery solved! In Google trace, I found that the URL requested was https://europe-west1-cad2m-monday-to-ggl-calendar.cloudfunctions.net/monday/execute-action, while the base URL I entered in Monday was https://europe-west1-cad2m-monday-to-ggl-calendar.cloudfunctions.net/SyncToGoogle (since that’s the base URL for my firebase project). So, the “SyncToGoogle” was removed in the call. By moving the “SyncToGoogle” to the recipe’s custom action, the URL is now properly built, and I see invocations coming in.
Thanks for your support. May I suggest that the URL building in Monday.com is changed, or that this is properly documented?

Best regards,
Jaap

1 Like

I’m so glad to hear that you were able to figure this out!

This sounds like it may have been user error, so I’m not sure there’s anything our team is able to alter within our platform. I can definitely understand the confusion though, perhaps we can make this more clear for our devs.

Hi Helen,

You’re right: this may be classified as a user error. However, Monday stripped the part “/SyncToGoogle” from the base URL without providing any feedback. So either a check in the UI or some documentation on this would be beneficial to future developers I guess.

Thanks for your support again,

Jaap

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.