Recurring Task Automation: Reset status column every month/week/x date

Hi @MStevens and @JohnW :slight_smile:

I hear you with the automated process of resetting a pulse status and date on “x” day of the month. I’m going to pass this feedback along to our automations product team!

In the meantime, if looking to reset the status to blank based off the date, this may be of help:

Lisa

3 Likes

If I use the automation you mention above, how do I specify to reset the status on the first of EVERY month? It seems I have to go in and change the date every month for this to work?

2 Likes

Could it work in conjunction with this automation:

So the Automation Lisa provided would change your status from “done” to “blank”. This automation would change the date once the status changes to “blank”. You can push the date 1 week so that every Monday it changes. It’s definitely not ideal but thought it might work until they develop a better option. Here’s what it could be like with the automation Lisa provided listed at the bottom:

3 Likes

Still need a solution for this one. Unfortunately, the added automation that JordanD suggested above didn’t work. Because our tasks are completed on different days, the deadline dates weren’t consistent. Also, because it was combined with the automation to change the status when deadline arrived and status was x, things were changing more than once and the statuses and deadlines were getting completely off track. :frowning:

2 Likes

Hi MStevens, gotcha - thanks for the feedback! We’ve taken your request and passed it onto our product team for review. If you have any other ideas, feel free to keep 'em coming!

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: How to automate vehicle maintenance checks

Hi there,

Has there been any update on this? We have recurring tasks that need to be redone on regular intervals, but I do need their statuses to be clear when we repeat them.

3 Likes

Not so far. I had to turn all of mine off and just update manually every week or month as the car may be. It’s extremely frustrating.

2 Likes

Same here. I cannot find any suitable workaround in Monday at this stage.

2 Likes

I also have submitted this feature request many times through the feature request link, but also to the individual support team members. If Google calendar can do it so well, and seemingly so simply, I wonder what the complication is here? It’s a big problem for us, and I have at least one department that will not use Monday.com because of it.

5 Likes

To be honest, I had assumed they could do this when I signed up. Having tasks repeat without fuss is about a third of the benefit of a PM app for my small company.

5 Likes

Totally agree. As our agency grows won’t be feasible to update all the task manually and we may have to look into a different tool. I spent months getting everything set up in Monday and training the team on how to use it properly and I dread the thought of having to switch us to something else because they can’t do something so simple.

4 Likes

Yes, the reoccurring tasks are not handled great, even though Monday has other great features. Hope they address this.

2 Likes

you’d think this would be a quick feature to whip up and release due to how sort-of obvious it is that it should already exist. i’m a new user — any experienced user have insight into how long it takes and how often Monday makes these kind of usability updates? pricey tool and looks like this thread started seven months ago. this and having functions be a “Pro” level tool (I literally just want to subtract from a number instead of sum – even their logo for the “numbers” column has more mathematical symbols than can actually be used) are making me question if i made too hasty an investment in this app

3 Likes

I am just going to chime in here and say that not being able to properly manage recurring tasks is a huge disappointment. There are many other things I love about Monday. However, this makes assigning our VA’s repeating tasks very difficult. Even if we do create every task with the 1 automation to create a new task - managing those automatons sucks. There is no way to know what automation you are looking at without clicking through. Please get us a solution Monday!!!

12 Likes

Have you ever switched to a system and thought it was the perfect system for you and THEN realized this SAID SYSTEM, doesn’t allow you to easily do recurring tasks without a pointless automaton? Yup, that’s how I feel. Monday, this really should be standard - please, please look at these multiple threads on multiple sites and listen to your client base. You have something great, don’t mess it up .

6 Likes

I envision a column called “Timer” so each pulse gets a timer. The options can be a number of days and be displayed in hours, and then the clock starts ticking down. When the timer column reaches 0, the STATUS from X column resets from whatever status is on to whatever you want to rest it to, e.g., if the status is complete by the time the timer reaches 0, it will be reset to status NOT STARTED, that way each pulse gets it’s own “Timer” and each pulse behaves independently from all others.

So you know how you can connect columns, like a date column to a status column, just think of connecting the so-called “Timer” to a status column and when it reaches the 0 the “Timer” changes the status and resets the “Timer” original set time, so if the “Timer” was set at 5 days, it resets itself to 5 days when it reaches 0. This creates a never-ending loop.

I agree with @bellamyinspires that this is a much-needed feature. Just giving my two pennies.

Thanks @lauralev & @Lisa-monday.com !

Just adding a visual.

2 Likes

+1 on this request.
its a must-have needed feature.

5 Likes

Definitely bumping this for @Lisa-monday.com, can you provide an update or check in with the automations team? Would be awesome to move forward with this ability ASAP

4 Likes

+1. For now, I’m using a status column that I’ve automated to push the “recurring” date by “x amount of days/weeks/months”.

Every time a task is completed, I just push the “snooze/restock” status button that I created.

Hopefully that helps until then. :slight_smile: