Recurring tasks with same items

We have need to manage new product creation amongst several teams (marketing, merchandising, purchasing, etc). There might be 3 one month and 50 the next. My thought was to create each new product as a group, with the hope that items and subitems can be automated upon group creation (as what needs to get done is essentially the same every time). Does anyone know if there is a way to do that?

@blight sounds like you can manage this with a template board with all the steps for the project, and a high level board to manage all of the projects, and use the “when status changes to something create a new board and notify someone” automation.

Feel free to email me at biancajclement@gmail.com if you need further help

Thanks for the help. This seems like it would work, but I would want it to work off item creation instead of status change. I think I see where there is automation to do that.

Should I understand a template board will just always have the same items to be completed? And that there is an automation that will allow the new board that gets created to use the template board?

Hi @blight :wave:

Welcome to the Community!

I just wanted to touch base here to offer some additional suggestions.

Whilst automations cannot be triggered by a group’s creation, you are able to create subitems when an item is created - this might mean needing to manually create your groups still, but should take off some of the manual work.

You can use the following automation to achieve this:

This is created using our Custom Automations feature, which allows you to create automations out of pre-determined building blocks.
In this case, you can continue to add subitems to the automation until you have every stage of your process added!
You can read more about this feature here: Build your own custom automation

I hope this helps! Remember to mark as solved if this answers your question :smiley:

Best,

Dani

I have a group of recurring jobs, the same list every week needs to be scheduled.

Currently we are manually uploading these from Excel into Monday on a weekly basis to add to our dynamic list of work scheduled for the coming week.

For scheduling purposes, the specific dates for each job, Monday to Friday, need to be input on a rolling basis; eg for work uploaded Sunday 19/12 for work week commencing 20/12, dates from 20/12 to 24/12 need to be input for each recurring job.

We are looking to create an automation that takes a master schedule of recurring work and creates new date specific jobs each week - to match our manual workflow.

I tried today to use an automation to duplicate each job and push the job by 7 days. Eg so when Monday’s job date arrives, it duplicates the job and pushes the date of the duplication forward by 7 days.

This was not successful. First, it also duplicated the non-recurring (dynamic jobs), occurring on the same date which are part of the same board. Second, it also reads (copy), next to each job.

Clearly we could manually update the jobs to remove (copy), but that defeats some of the purpose of automations.

Any thoughts welcome!

Hi @Vecino :wave:

Welcome to the Community!

In this case I think it would be really helpful for us to take a closer look at your workflow. We would love to hear more about your use case, to get a better understanding of your needs, and make better suggestions :slight_smile:

Could you reach out to our support team via support@monday.com with some screenshots of your board set up and automations, or send me a private message? We can then continue to assist!

Best,

Dani

Hey @blight :wave:

Is there a reason that you need to have it be created as a new group rather than removing the original item’s information and pushing their dates?

I ask because if possible, you can use this automations to clear the columns every week:

And also this custom automation to push the due date by 7 days when the date arrives:

This will keep everything in the same group but act as “recurring” tasks since they “reset” the columns and due dates each week.

If this doesn’t fit your needs, something you can always try instead would be to use one of our no-code 3rd party platform integrations to build your own automation or integration with Excel to achieve this:

Otherwise, if you are comfortable coding or have access to any developers, you can build your own automation/integration using our API:

If you need additional support on our APIs or apps platform, I would recommend doing a search for your question in our developer community here. You can also post to the community to get help from other monday.com developers.

If you need help building custom integrations, we also have an option for paid assistance through our network of certified monday.com partners. If this interests you, simply fill out this form and someone will be in touch shortly!

I hope this helps! Remember to mark as solved if this answers your question :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Jenna

Hey @blight :wave:

Checking in again – Please let us know if the above responses answer your question at all and if not, please reach out to our support team via support@monday.com with some screenshots of your board set up and automations so we can assist from there!

Cheers,
Jenna

Hi @blight

I hope the answers in this thread are useful!
As we haven’t had any updates here, I’m going to go ahead and mark this thread as solved.
This means that the thread will close in 7 days time :slightly_smiling_face:

If you have any additional questions or you feel your original query wasn’t resolved, please feel free to let us know and we’ll be happy to continue to assist!

Best,

Dani

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.