Seeking Advice on Automating Unique Item ID Copying Without Third-Party Apps or Manual Entry

Hello, I need guidance on setting up a unique item tracking system for our processes.

We aim to avoid manual data entry and require a solution to automatically copy the value of an original item’s unique ID to new items created through automations. However, we face limitations as the current automation mapping functions do not allow for item ID mapping during new item creation.

I attempted to use the formula column to replicate the unique ID, but it also cannot be mapped with automations and becomes void if the source item is deleted on a mirrored board. Our challenge is further compounded by the need to circumvent the 10,000 or 20,000 item limit per board, which may necessitate moving or deleting the original items.

Is there a way to achieve this internal ID copying functionality without resorting to Zapier or other third-party applications? Any insights or workarounds would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Alex, I went through the same thing so i know the frustration, fortunately I have 2 suggestions for you:

1. there are some very user friendly in-Monday apps that can copy item id column to a text column (like column magic or auto-id), but those are paid apps with very limited free tiers.

2. if you still want a workaround you can try what i did for our account:

I. create a ‘transient board’ that creates the data in the first place, have an
    item id column in that board.

II. make an automation to move the item to a second
    board and just cast the item id column to a text or numbers column
    (moving an item makes sure it keeps the same internal id).
    This workaround works as well for other kinds of ‘limited’ columns.

One thing i would be careful is not triggering the automation by item
creation, because it may lead to data loss (If an item is created then immediately moved, it may not carry all its data). for example try when item created → change status ,and then when status change → move item.

Hope that helps