Status of Board to Change Status of Another Board

Hi,
We have a timeline which shows every step of developing a new collection. This timeline affects 4 different departments. Due to the fact that each department needed different columns against items, I had to create 4 boards (NPD, Design, Supply Chain, Marketing).
Each department updates their status on their board.

I would like it that when someone selects the Status as Done, it sets the next step in the long timeline to Ready to Start (on the relevant board).

1. I have tried to link the boards together with Connect Boards and Mirror the Status. However, you cannot change the status of a Mirror if it is Connected to more than 1 board.
  2. To overcome the above issue, I created a new board called “Full Timeline”. I was hoping that I could update the status of that and link to the boards. However, this came up with the same issue.

Is there any way for me to get the Status of one board to update the Status of another without copying the item/ creating new boards etc.

Hi @Helen1988 , are you using a multi-board Connect Boards column, and thus the inability to change the Mirror columns? Or is it that you are trying to have the automation change a Mirror columns and it’s not working?

@Helen1988 Here is what I would suggest - it might not be pretty, but it’ll get the job done.

I am not sure if you are using a multi-board Connect Boards column or not, but I think part of the problem with your method is that the automation that changes statuses can use a Mirror column as a trigger, but not as the action. It has to go from Mirror column to regular column.

• With your “Full Timeline” board as the hub, you could connect each board with a separate Connect Boards column, and separate Mirror status column. Now you have individual triggers.

• Now you will need to create a “real” (non-Mirrored) status column on the hub board for each of the 4 boards, to be changed by the Mirror version via automation. Now you have 4 “real” statuses, kept up-to-date for each board feeding in.

• Then, on each of the 4 boards (which are each Connected to the hub board (Full Timeline) because you checked the box to create the column there, too, when you inserted them on the hub board) you mirror the “real” status columns for the other 3 departments. Now those can be used as triggers to change the department’s own “real” status via automation.

So you have to add 3 new Mirror status columns to each department board, and you have to have 4 separate Connect Boards columns + Mirror Status on the hub board.

Does that sound like it would accomplish what you want?

Hi,
I am glad you mentioned this way - I suddenly thought about this way on Friday after my post so glad I am not as useless on Monday.com as I thought!

Thank you very much for posting and very much helped me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.