Subitem Creation Via Automations

I have a board in which I’d like for 5 subitems to be created the moment their parent item comes into the board. I’d like these subitems to be in a specific order each time they’re automatically created, but so far, it’s been seemingly random. I’ve tried to reorder the automations, but it doesn’t seem to have any effect. Is there anything I’m missing? Thanks in advance.

Hey Ryan! Charlotte here for the team! :wave: Happy to help out with this!

So when you are creating these subitems via automation, I assume the recipe looks a little like the following:

When item is created, then create subitem and create subitem and create subitem…

And so on. Is that correct? If so, these actions are all going to happen at the same time as their trigger which is the item being created. So they may all appear in different order but they’re being created simultaneously.

To add an order to this, you could either sort the columns or you could add another condition in your automation recipes and break them up into 5 separate recipes. This can look like: “when item is created, and only if status is __, create subitem” and then you do the same recipe with 4 other status options.

What do you think about this?

1 Like

Thanks for the answer! I’ll be honest, I originally had each of the subitems created by a separate automation, which is likely how they each got out of whack. Your note about putting them all in the same recipe was actually the solution - that had slipped my mind as a possibility. They’re now created in the order that I need them to be. Thanks again for your reply and the alternate solutions!