Tags in automations and forms

In recent months our boards have been getting bigger and bigger. In most cases, everyone in our company will touch every project at some point and as a result our ‘main’ board is approaching 100 columns and many hundreds of pulses. We plan to break it up by department/role etc. for each team to manage themselves but at times anyone could need to view any other department’s information.

So we’ve turned to using tags across the boards. Every project has a unique project ID stored in a tag column. We love that we can then click on the tag and view the company wide information relating to that project. But we’re running up against 2 specific limitations that are making this not scalable:

1. Tags cannot the used in forms. We use forms a lot to request services from other departments. Being able to quickly include the project ID crucial. Yes, our current workaround is to put it in a text column but then we need to manually enter it into the tag column after the form is submitted

2. Tags cannot be passed in the Item Creation automations. Often, we will want to use an automation to create a pulse in another board. Again, it is key here that we can pass the project ID through to that pulse. I can set the tag in the other board be filled from pretty much any column type, except a tag column!

We see tags as the future of our Monday.com deployment as our adoption continues to grow but we’re at at roadblock. We would love to see these 2 features specifically ASAP but any development around tags in general will be huge for us!

Seconded. Using Tags as Project IDs is the only way forward for our studio where we have at least 20-30 projects in progress at any given moment. It would be ideal if Forums could integrate all columns available as we similarly use Forums for inter-departmental requests, where each forum is customized to the varying needs of the departments.

@brianzhang, we found a workaround to this issue that might work for you.

In the form we collect the project ID in a text column. After that we have an automation that says, when new item is created, create a new item in another board. The other board is identical to the first but rather than a text column for the project ID, it’s a tag column. The first board with the form is hidden for everyone so seeing the duplicate is not confusing but that create new item in another board column allows for passing a text column into a tag column.

1 Like

@JTC thanks for the reply! That sounds like a good workaround for now. Duplicate hidden boards sounds like a necessary (in this case) inconvenience (especially if columns or other template-related aspects are continuously being improved by departments).

Monday: further improvements on Tag integrations & Form customization capabilities would great!

It actually worked out pretty well for us as we were collecting a lot of information via a form that we funneled into 2 separate boards based on who needs to see what. Essentially we have a hidden “inbox” board that has the form and then when the form is completed is creates items on a Sales board and a Development board. The form asks for a Project ID as text but we’re able to then have it eventually show up as tags in the Sales and Dev boards.

We’re using each group as its own project, so having an automation that allows for each new item that is created in a specific group to have a certain tag would be very beneficial. Otherwise, we need to manually add the same tag every time a new item is created in that group (project). Thanks!

2 Likes

It would be great if tags could be used in an automation, I think it would make this all much simpler. We have similar issues and have been trying to come up with workarounds but is is just so complicated when it should not be!

3 Likes

I would also love to see this implemented, I just recently found out that i can not notify usergroups based on a tag when an item is created.

Any updates here on this Automation request for Tags? Voted Yes!

Has any found a workaround or App that can provide a solution for some type of automation w/ Tags

I would love this! We use forms to write up new jobs. The project manager will open a form link and add in all the job budget information, etc. Included in this is the GC project contact. We work with a lot of the same GCs and their project managers often so I have created a “GC contractor contacts” board.
Each PM for the GCs has a line item with a tag (their name) that has their email and phone number. If we could use tags in the forms that would be awesome IF

• tags could automatically pull in the “like information” for example:

GC contractors board has the NAME | EMAIL | PHONE # columns so does the new job board so that tag would auto-populate the same info!

We have similar use cases to the ones shared here, where we need to use the same tags across multiple boards. It would be so much quickler and easier if we could automate this, rather than having to go to every single board and repeatedly add the same tags.

We also have a very similar use case for the tag automation! Surprised it hasn’t been added to the pipeline yet!

We have a board for each of our clients, e.g. Client A has Client A board and Client B has Client B board. On each client board, we have a tags column so that we may tag the client for each outstanding item.

(We also have non-client boards where we tag the clients. If we want to see everything outstanding for that client, we search #Client(Name) so that we have all our items in one place.)

We would like to automate the process so that when a new item is added on Client’s A client-specific board, the tags column is auto-populated to = Client A.

Also, when we move items to the Completed Group on any board, we would want an automation that when an item is moved to Completed Group, change tags column to be blank. We only use the tags for active / outstanding items to discuss / to complete and therefore would want the tags column for that item to revert back to blank / create a new tag.

My basically philosophy with Monday is that if I am using a column type, I want to be able to automate it and if I can’t automate it, it’s functionality becomes diminished considerably. Examples - dropdowns and the aforementioned tags.

Thanks for considering.

1 Like

Hi - I have the exactly use case as Judith. Please, Monday, can you let us know if you’re considering this suggestion or there’ any technical limitation on your side and this won’t be implemented any time soon? Cheers!

1 Like

This would be super useful for us as well. ie. if we can set up an automation that if a status of the job is set to “Cancelled”, if that could add a tag “LostTime”…

1 Like

Pretty disappointed to see there’s no way to do this after all these years - We just connected our account to a gmail account to create tasks when emails are received to an internal support email, and we have no way to tag those items as “inbound requests”. We have them in their own Group but they all go to an In Progress and Done group mixed in with other tasks we’ve created manually.

1 Like

Utilizing tags in forms can help create a bank of tags associated with the submission item

One way we have done this as a workaround is by placing a text box within our form for the user to type their “tags” as text copy. But integrating this Text column with an app to convert the text into a Tags column only created 1 strung along tag. This is not ideal to utilizing the Tags Column for what it is, it’s a tag that can be seen across multiple boards with the same tag text.

It would be amazing if there was a way to have a user create multiple tags within the form and within the table view the tags would not be combined into 1 strung along tag, but functional separate tags (words not strung together)