Task description

Hello everyone, . Does anyone know how can i add a description page for each task?
I would prefer not from the update windows…

2 Likes

Hi @Ofir_Haim

Welcome to the community! I would recommend adding a long text column to the task. It does not use up space on your board until you click on it. The text inside this column pops up when you hover over it. The only drawback is that there is not any formatting (bold, underline etc) poddibility.

1 Like

This feature is still needed. The text box is not sufficient. I want to click on the Task Name to pop up a screen with a dynamic text field including text formatting and ability to add screenshots and attachments - similar to a JIRA ticket description. There needs to be a space to define the task in detail and I haven’t found any other features that are sufficient for this purpose.

4 Likes

Yes, i would second that. This is really a deal beaker feature for me. Not being able to express the task description well on each task with rich formatting is really surprising for such a mature app.

Can the be prioritised?

2 Likes

I thought it might be helpful to outline the current options available in this area in base monday.

Long Text column type - as mentioned by Bas, is pure text, expanded when user hovers over it.
Updates - as alluded to by @Ofir_Haim, allows rich text style editing, user can pin note to the top of the page.
monday workdocs - powerful newly released functionality that allows complex document editing including embedding board views, widgets, and more. Can be attached to board items via the Files column.
CommuniHub Notes - Allows rich text style notes to be entered that are only viewable by board members.
** Info Box Notes ** - Allows rich text style notes to be entered on an item. (Are being discontinued according to monday.)

1 Like

Hi all! :wave:

As @JCorrell explained, we do have a number of options that could work here.

I would recommend using the updates section as it allows for formatting and pinning to the top of the item.
You can create an automation to automatically add the update to the item when a new item is created, which would remove any need to manually add the update to each task.

Some users use this function to create templates that a user can then copy and fill out in an additional update to make sure all the required information is included. You could combine this with a notification to remind the user to read the update / fill out the necessary information.

I can definitely appreciate how the ability to create a pop up with screenshots and more advanced formatting would be a useful addition to the platform for yourself, and I’m sure for other teams too, so I would highly recommend opening a thread in our Feature Request section.
Here other users who would also like this added to the platform will be able to upvote the feature!
You can find this here: Submit an Idea - monday Community Forum

I hope this helps! Remember to mark as solved if this answers your question :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Best,
Dani

Hi
We are using updates for task descriptions, as you recommended, but a big drawback for us is that only the person who created the update can edit it. This can be quite annoying when used for detailed description which are then used by the developers. Is there any way to have multiple users editing the same update?

The solutions listed all have drawbacks for us. From best to worst:

• info box note => discontinued (our account has it for now, but for how long?)
  • file column + doc => writing doc is very slow & awkward
  • long text column => bad edit UI, not great display
  • updates => only author can edit
  • CommuniHub notes => unsure, didn’t find what it is

File column + doc is very close to what we need, but the “ordered lines” paradigm doesn’t work well for task descriptions. Simple text editor (plain or rich) would work better for us.

1 Like

Agreed! It’s quite irritating. It seems every project management tool has that one stupidly simple thing that they just cant to.

1 Like

I’m really shocked monday doesn’t have this basic feature.