Time Blocking with Monday

Hello Everyone!

I use time blocking to boost my productivity and efficiency. I have not figured out a good way to pull this off with Monday. I was curious, does anyone have any examples of a time blocking workflow or does anyone know of a a time blocking/productivity app that can sync with Monday.com tasks?

Hey @nsheetz86!

Do you have an external calendar connected to Google or Outlook? Would you consider using our integration with Gmail/Outlook to set up time blocking in your external calendar through monday? I ask this as our calendar integration offers more robust time-blocking functionality. By setting up your schedule/time-blocking in monday, you can then use the integration to automatically sync events to your external calendar when a new item is created or updated.

341622352_975222677189185_3488737829834095044_n

Let me know what you think!

Hey @BiancaT thanks for the response! I hadn’t thought about that integration I am going to give that a try in a little bit and will report back on my thoughts on using that integration in that way.

1 Like

Sounds good! Let me know if you need a hand as you get set up :slight_smile:

Hi Bianca!

I also would like to be able to use Monday for time blocking, especially given that we already use it as a tool to keep track of our projects and tasks.

However, our company uses Outlook and not Gmail as the main mail/calendar system, so unfortunately we can’t use Google Calendar to integrate. Also I can’t use my work Outlook for timeblocking as we share our calendar with the whole team and it would create a visual mess for my managers.

So ideally it would be great to be able to use Monday.com calendar for time blocking purposes.

To answer Nick’s original question, I set up a private board and used labels as colour identificators:

You can set up an automation to refresh the dates in the ‘date’ and ‘end of the week’ column. Once you’ve set up the date in ‘Eow’ column, here’s how the automation would look like:
automation

I use subitems to specify the projects I’m working on and the specific times for shorter meetings

You can potentially use this kind of table to have an hour-by-hour breakdown as well, depending on your needs

2 Likes

Thanks so much Natalia for sharing your insight here - this is really helpful :pray:

As for your feedback concerning time-blocking, we appreciate your comments and understand the roadblock you’re facing at this time regarding shared Outlook calendars… Can I ask if this feature request is along the lines of what you’re hoping for? With the addition of an end time in the date column, this opens opportunity for time-blocking within the native calendar! If this is the case, it’s on our roadmap! Stay tuned :slight_smile:

1 Like

@BiancaT In the screenshots you shared, you show an event in the calendar spanning 2.5 hours. Do you mind sharing how you did that? I am new to Monday, but that’s the biggest hurdle I have. . . all events are locked into one hour, regardless of the start/end time I assign them. I’m stuck! Any help would be appreciated. :wink:

Hey Tonya,

Welcome to the platform :blush:

I can certainly help! I did first want to clarify that the events/time-blocking in my screenshot are in my Google Calendar, created via our Google Calendar integration → https://support.monday.com/hc/en-us/articles/4404712420754-Google-Calendar-Integration. Our integration allows you to sync items from your monday board into your google calendar with specific timeblocks!

That said, would you be able to share with me a screenshot of your board, just including the 2 date columns (with start and end times included), as well as the integration recipe - specifically the mapping?

I look forward to hearing from you!

I’ve been using this work around (start time and end time column) and it’s honestly a nightmare. Some reasons why:

1. It means in the Calendar view of your board, each task appears twice (for the start time and end time);
  2. You have to manually change both columns and it’s additional friction.

A simple time blocking feature would solve this issue. I have seen other threads requesting this simple feature since 2021…

Due to this, I’ve swapped to Asana which does time blocking well!

By setting up your schedule/time-blocking in monday, you can then use the integration to automatically sync events to your external calendar when a new item is created or updated.