Update dependency column with dependency type

Monday has updated dependency column with multiple features(Dependency) and one of them is the dependency type that can be set for each relationship. My question is when dependencies are created by the api it is possible to pass the type argument along as well?

mutation {
change_multiple_column_values (item_id:9876543210, board_id:1234567890, column_values: “{"dependent_on" : {"item_ids" : [0987654321]}}”) {
id
}
}

Hello there @ravindasenarath,

Are you referring to the types such as Finish-to-start, Start-to-start, Finish-to-finish, Start-to-finish?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Cheers,
Matias

1 Like

Hi @Matias.Monday . Yes exactly them.

Hello again @ravindasenarath,

Thank you for the clarification.

As of today, it is not possible to pass those types as arguments in a mutation.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Cheers,
Matias

Hi @Matias.Monday , we had an integration setup for a customer to have dependencies in a board and since how the behavior has changed by monday.com the it is not meeting customers requirement. What is the way around this? Since the functionality is introduced it means that the internal api’s support these parameters and only they are not exposed via graphql api. Why hasn’t monday.com think of external integrations getting affected due to new functionality. Changes shouldn’t break existing functionality.

Hello again @ravindasenarath,

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

If you would be able to send us this information with the mutation you were using and how said mutation is failing now to appsupport@monday.com we will be glad to take a look into it and raise the matter to the team involved in the change.

Cheers,
Matias

Hi @Matias.Monday

Reported, ticket id 2898737

1 Like

Thank you for sending that over @ravindasenarath !

Someone from our team will contact you :grin:

Cheers,
Matias

1 Like

I have this same issue. I built a scenario in Make involving dependencies. It took me a long time because I am not a programmer and learned from scratch. While I love the addition of new dependency types, not being able to differentiate them in Make renders my scenario useless now because it was built for finish to start dependencies. When the web hook is sent resulting from a change in the dependent_on column, there is data sent indicating the dependency_type (0,1,2,3). But this is the only time I can see this information. It seems like this would be an easy thing to provide when listing the board’s items or getting info on a single item so I can map them in my scenario. I do not need to mutate, just query for my purposes. It may seem like a small thing but not being able to see the dependency_type has completely disrupted my small business which I was building around Monday.com.

Hello there @Usernamegame would you be able to please send us an email to appsupport@monday.com so we can take a closer look into your scenario and add your vote for this request from there?

Looking forward to hearing from you via email!

Cheers,
Matias

2 Likes

Hi! Similar issue here.

This one really caught my client off-guard. I’d like to echo the comments of others in recommending caution over rolling out and some additional planning, as well as of course API support and legacy support.

The function of the new dependency column is in fact so different that I would advise maintaining it as a separate column and continuing support for the legacy column for at least a decent period of time. Otherwise the transition would be too drastic. I am nervous about how this will affect other clients who are heavily dependent on their dependencies and related integrations.

My addition to this question relates to lag time. Since we can no longer update dates directly with strict dependencies, can we modify lag days through the API?

A major frustration is that we cannot modify lag days with automations and date related automations are kaput.

Hello there @FrancisElliott,

Could you please send this over as an email to appsupport@monday.com?

From there we will monitor this more closely and use your user case as feedback for our R&D team. Please add all the information you can + the use case you would like to achieve.

Looking forward to hearing from you via email!

Cheers,
Matias

2 Likes

Thanks @Matias.Monday

I opened a support case via my client’s account (although whenever I do this and beg for you to Cc my work email, it rarely happens!) :grimacing:

Would you recommend opening an additional ticket to cover this in general, or just continue to pursue through my client’s account.

Thanks,
Francis

Hello there @FrancisElliott ,

I have added the CC you asked for!

I see you got a reply on Sunday. You will get a new reply soon from someone from the team :grin: No need to open a new ticket.

Cheers,
Matias

2 Likes

@Matias.Monday, Is there any hope that this dependency_type will be included with the new API rollout in January?

Hello there @Usernamegame,

We have an open request about this, but no confirmations at this moment.

Cheers,
Matias

1 Like

I am checking to see if there is any update or progress about providing dependency type in the API. Thank you.

Hello there @Usernamegame,

We currently do not have an ETA on when this could be implemented.

If it does, we will of course update everyone in our changelog and in our documentation!

Cheers,
Matias