Using formulas to update status?

I’ve sent 7 emails to Monday and they haven’t gotten back to me, so I’ll try my luck here instead.

I want to use conditional formatting (similar to sheets or excel) but it isn’t available. So let’s say I have col A and col B as numbers, and a Status column.

If B is more than A, update the Status column to “Done”.

This works for normal formula columns where the formula I have is
IF({COL A} < {COL B}, "DONE", "NOT DONE")
this works well, but there’s no colors.

If I use a formula column to update another column called “Status” (now we have col A, col B, Formula, and Status), like:
IF({COL A} < {COL B}, {STATUS} = "DONE", {STATUS} = "NOT DONE")
With this, I can change the color of the status based on the value…
But I got an error saying: "Status" creates a circular dependency.

How do I fix this?

I think you cant change a status column from a formula column.
I have requested this too. As well as custom automations…

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply. That’s unfortunate to hear. Let me try and find your request and upvote it.

Hey @zack thanks for writing in here! Sorry to hear you’re having trouble getting in touch with our team - can you check your spam folder for our responses? We also often see that sometimes security restrictions can block emails from coming through – can you whitelist the following emails?

notifications@monday.com
ops@monday.com
support@monday.com

As for the status / formula, @hlopezvc is correct. At this time, there is no way to change a status via the use of an formula, though I will pass this along!

Also, custom automations should be coming soon! Keep an eye out :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Is there any timeline when the custom automations will be out? I’ll take something as broad as the beginning or middle of next year.

Hey @cfraticelli our goal is for sometime in the early new year (q 1) but it is going to be a very basic release at first (the automations will be simple) and grow from there!

2 Likes

Okay!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!

You’re very welcome!!

I also would like to see flexibility for formula fields to modify a status column. In my use case, I am checking 7 different components within a pulse to ensure they contain expected values. If all 7 are completed, then I want to set the status to done. If one or more of the 7 are not complete, then I want to set the status to an in progress state.

9 Likes

I’d also like a formula to be able to update a Status!!
Also would like custom automations…

2 Likes

Hi,

Apologies if this has already been asked for - I can’t see that it has.

I need to take a 3 * 3 scoring and rate as high, medium & low in a status column:

a) Quality of service 1 to 3
b) Price 1 to 3
c) Quality of product 1 to 3

Formula to add (a) + (b) +© = score
=<3 = Low; >3=<6 = Medium; > 6 = High

Ideally also a 5 * 5 scoring.

Cheers

1 Like

I’d also like a formula colum to be able to update a status - can I upvotethis somewhere ?

1 Like

Hello any updates to go a higher level with custom recipes?

Hi @brett-monday.com

Is there any update on when this functionality will go live?

Regards.

Lee

I know custom automations is now active. You can adjust status’ based on a column changing. This only kindof works. If the column changes then you can change a status field to something. What I need and I think this thread is talking about is the ability to change a status column based on the results of a formula. Many integrations (Zendesk, Trello, Zoom, Jot Form (to name a few)) bring in the values as text. We need to then be able to “trigger” Monday.com workflows from changes to those values. This is currently not possible (without API and custom code/services). When I have a field in Trello (or any of those previously mentioned integrations) change in value I would like to be able to change a status column to reflect. If the field that comes in changes from red to green to blue, to orange I would like to evaluate the change and change a status column accordingly thus triggering some of the great workflow possibilities available in Monday.com. The current implementation of custom automations fall just short here. The only thing I would be able to do as the text field changes is have a status column change to a single result. Not very helpful.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.