Include formula columns in automation recipes

Hello, with the new custom automation recipes released i was looking for a way to do logical interactions with numbers column data, formulas and automations, but formula columns are not included.

So i find this automation:

This could be a way to interact with formulas, but this type of columns are not supported.

Please, we need to include formula columns in this and other possible recipes.

Thanks.

Hey @hlopezvc - thanks for this request! This is something that has been shared with our product team previously so I upvoted it with your feedback! Would you mind sharing how you are currently using the formula column? I’d be happy to look into any possible workarounds for you.

4 Likes

I need to set up a vehicle maintenance fleet using kilometers as input values.

COLUMN NUMBER A = KILOMETERS OF REAL VEHICLE
COLUMN NUMBER B = OBJECTIVE VEHICLE KILOMETERS FOR A CERTAIN SERVICE
COLUMN OF FORMULA = B - A (HOW MANY KILOMETERS TO ARRIVE FOR THIS SERVICE)

Things I can’t do with Monday.com (missing recipes)

WHEN A FORMULA / NUMBER (could be either of these two) IS GREATER / EQUAL / LESS THAN THIS FORMULA / NUMBER (could be any) THEN:

• NOTIFY SOMEONE
  • CHANGE OF STATUS TO XXX

Automations (normal and custom recipes) must support ASAP columns of numbers and formulas to automate actions based on logical operations.

Think for a minute about the only avaliable recipe that supports number columns:

• A column of numbers will always be a fixed number (at least from Monday.com it cannot be changed with any formula or automation). So, I have a fixed value, and I can only compare it with another fixed value!!! … from all points of view, I can’t find a use for this.

I hope this recipes could be avaliable soon. Thanks!

9 Likes

Hi! @melissav-monday.com, another good thing to include is: “between”, “less than or equal to” and “greater than or equal to” in the recipe. I have a board tracking some numbers and would like to change statuses based on the number in the formula column and some of them are ranges.

Here’s an example from Google Sheets conditional formatting:

5 Likes

Hi @melissav-monday.com @Julia-monday.com
there is any news in advance on this feature request?

We need this ASAP, think another uses for example we could validate each column field as required entry and dont change a STATUS BUTTON until de conditions are validated.

9 Likes

Hey @hlopezvc & @natybenitez - these are great use cases! We did recently add the following automation that would enable changes to a status column based on particular values:

At this time, the automation does not work with ranges (only greater than, less than, or equal to), but I definitely see how a defined range and the ability to set multiple conditions would be very useful!

We’ll continue to improve these automations (and add more!) so definitely continue to share your feedback with us :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi everyone, I just ran into this limitation as well. Trying to create an automation that notifies the owner of an item if no updates have been made in x days. I got the formula to determine number of days passed between last change and the current date and that part works fine. What unfortunately doesn’t work is triggering an automation based on the result of the calculation. The formula column is not available in automations and I haven’t been able to find a workaround.

What’s also missing is a way to manipulate the status of another column based on the result of a formula. Please consider integrating this. It would make automations and board use in general soo much more flexible.

19 Likes

Agreed, should be easy to include, and would be so useful!

6 Likes

I agree as well. This is a major limitation. If you can create a formula and get a result, why cant you act on it? PLEASE!!

10 Likes

I have been running into this limitation over and over again. Have we heard anything back form Monday.com yet?

8 Likes

Same problem here. Following

5 Likes

Same problem for me :frowning:

3 Likes

This is a HUGE issue, we need this ASAP!

7 Likes

Same problem here, no more infos? @melissav-monday.com

3 Likes

Hello @ampwst @KZM @Than @stevendlc927 @oliventuresome

Until Monday supports formula columns, check out the General Caster app. I answered a similar question on another board if you want more details.

But the short version is General Caster calculates the formulas outside of the Monday board and then cast it to basic text or number columns. I’ve been using it for all sorts of Automation workarounds. Hope this helps!

3 Likes

I really need this too! Any update?

3 Likes

I need this too! Would make it so much easier to work with the automations!

4 Likes

We would love to use the formula column for date-related automations. One of our formula columns calculates a final date based on 3 other columns (item creation date, number column, formula column with integer result). We would like to be able to use that final date to move items to/from groups and boards at certain times.

Ex: When date arrives, move item to “This Week”; When date has passed, move item to “Archived Projects”

To achieve this, we would like to be able to identify the formula column as a date type column and use it directly in the automation, OR be able to assign or link the formula result to an actual date column and then use that date column in the automation.

7 Likes

Hi @KyleDanielle - Nice to see you back around the community! You can do this with the General Caster app: https://general-caster.omnidea.it/documentation.html

1 Like

I want to use “When date arrives, then” , while the date value would come from “Start-date minus 20”. Unfortunately, the formula, despite being formatted as a date, isn’t recognized in the recipe.

1 Like