Using Monday Forms to pass parameters in the URL

I’m trying to accommodate a customer of Monday.
They are integrating your Form with an App we create.
They want to be able to pre populate the form with variables from our system.

We were able to accomplish this with a Google Form by passing a string of parameters in the URL.

For example, here is a Google Form where I’m passing a key/value pair and it autocompletes the 1 question I have: Test Form

You can find the key/label “entry.684253408” when you inspect element

I’m not able to find similar “keys” on your customers form when I inspect element
Your div > form-input’s do not have any “name” or “labels”

Hey @kmortensen :raised_hands:

Thanks for the detailed post! At the moment there isn’t a way to pre-populate a form using query parameters. However, it is a feature request I’ve heard before and I’ll pass this to the relevant team so they can add it to their backlog.

I’m also going to move this to the feature requests category so others can upvote it.

3 Likes

This would be really great functionality to have. I tried to get around this with a google form, but when I pass the data in an automation email, it isn’t URL encoded so the generated URL to prefill the google form doesn’t work.

googleformlink/form?name=Eric Shepherd

for example. So I went back to the Monday form but I have to have my customers enter data that we already have access to, which is error-prone and painful.

Please just allow linking to a Monday form with ?field=value and fill in the values on the form.

1 Like

Another option you can consider is allow users to enter the not yet available data and merge it into their existing data using the Duplicates and Uniques app.

Here is an example of how that will work.

If you need any help with the app, you can always reach out at support@kolaai.com

1 Like

@kolaai I don’t think that addresses this use case at all. We want to be able to send the user a link to a new form, which will create a new board item, but with the end user not required to type in information that is already known to us.

If we know their name, for example, we should be able to create a form in which their name is populated automatically, by passing the name to the Monday form page.

This isn’t about eliminating duplicates.

1 Like

Not necessarily elimating duplicates but updating unfilled data. That is, if let’s say in the form, the email field is the only required field and the rest of the fields can be field as to when the customer or client has that data available, the app ensures that, anytime the user submits the form with the new or updated data, using their email, it will update the board with the incoming data.
In short, the app keeps the data updated as to when they become available

1 Like

Sure, I would check that out if that’s what I needed, but I just need a single form post and want (in my case) the email, physical address, and work order number filled in so the user doesn’t need to type it. I think that’s basically what the OP was looking for too.

This is what the email I send would look like, and the form would then (either visibly or invisibly) contain these extra fields without the user having to input them.

link.to.monday.form?r=use1&name=My+Name&email=my@email.com&workOrder=12345

2 Likes

I had to upvote this idea as well. I’m looking for a similar usage, but can utilize the same functions.

It would be great if we could pre-populate the form with data from a link, even if it had to be generated manually from within monday. A form user doesn’t want to have to fill in information that we know we should have, but since a good form is going to collect all the data in one table (board) for us, we need to have a way to know who completed the information. We could be able to do this by pre-creating the table, which someone could “update” the record with a unique URL. The URL could take the pulseID for example and send that information to the form.

I think the biggest issue here though, would be security. It will take a good plan on how to allow access to it, but it can be done since the API does already allow updating a pulse. The implementation of it, and making it simpler for us users to do it, is something that really needs monday developers to be looking at.

2 Likes

For me it would also be totally fine, to pass a data via query parameter, which will be available in the webhook data later.

Otherwise I don’t see a method how it is possible to link the information in a form to a specific external user. I assume that the form which was entered must be the last one, but this approach is very risky if you have many users filling out that form.

1 Like

Is there any update ? This would be a great feature to add to workforms!

2 Likes

This is a much needed feaature. This is pretty much what’s stopping us from using Monday forms.

It would be great if URL parameters work two ways,

1. Incoming - To auto-fill the forms as users try to fill them in.
  2. Outgoing - To pass info from the forms to an external URL.
1 Like

2023-08-15T03:00:00Z

The solution I posted nearly 15 days ago is not working with the monday forms anymore.

Any ideia why it has been removed, @dipro?

Old post

Hello, everyone. I just tested this with my form, and it worked like a charm.

Here is what I did:

All the fields in every monday.com board have technical names. The first one is normally the “name” field. You can discover the technical field name inspecting your form, like this:

LONG STORY SHORT: If you want to prefill your board with a value (or some values), add the following tag to the url, like this example:

Here is what a standard monday form URL looks like:

https://forms.monday.com/forms/b2695a4015930720f0351104d59e287d?r=use1

But! If you add &name=GUSTAVO at the end, you have a form with the “name” field prefilled. This make sense? I didn’t tried it, but i’m almost sure that if you insert another &“technicalname”=“prefill info” it will work as well.

The final link will look like this:

https://forms.monday.com/forms/b2695a4015930720f0351104d59e287d?r=use1&name=GUSTAVO

Hope this help you all. Cheers!

PS: that’s basically what @arkitrave told a couple months ago, but maybe at the time it wasn’t working? :grin:

@gus.furtado – not sure, to be honest. As far as I understand, this was a workaround that we didn’t officially support. Will try and do some follow-up on it.

2 Likes

Thanks! Everyone was excited with the possibilities at first, I really hope this isn’t a cold shower.

@dipro aaaaand it’s back lol, I hope it becomes an official feature :grin:

1 Like

Lol. @gus.furtado – good catch. I spoke to the team last week and it’s not an official feature right now but it’s on the team’s roadmap to make it one!

Fingers crossed they pick it up soon and refine it into something great :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tried it, but no luck here.

Hey mate, what about passing url params from Monday forms to an external URL.

something like upon submission it will go to a randomdomain.com/name=Gustavo+Furtado&email=test@test.net

this way the next site that we pass this info into gets these info.

We’re currently getting by with the use of concatenate formula but with it, the users need to wait for the item to populate then click on the formula after everything has loaded into the board.

Do you know of a workaround for that?

Hey @Chester! Are you using any integration to pass this information along? Like e-mail integration or something?

No currently what we do is use a formula field using concatenate with the domain and all the parameters. The user will still have to click them to pass the info over. so the formula looks like this
concatenate(“https://url.com/?phone=“,{phonefield},”&email=“,{emailfield},”&name=”,{itemname})

So they have to do this after filling up the form. It shortens the process but still if we can have it go to the url after the form fill, that would be ideal.