Viewing Parent Item of a Subitem on My Work

Hey! everyone! We are working on improving our new features request process but keep voting for these features and if enough people vote we can try to bring it to our product team and see what they say. Not sure on the status of this, but can try to find out

2 Likes

@Julietteb +1 vote. We have over 100 projects and we would like for the subitem to show the parent name please. We need to see the parent name of the subitem when you filter by person, in My Work etc.
In My Work even if you click on the subitem it still doesn’t show you the parent name. And even if I click to take me to the main board it still doesn’t show to which parent name the subitem belongs to.

I agree! In our team we work on many projects and in some cases we got subelements and I see only mention to “item 1” or “item blue” and I do not know what is the parent name. I think it should be in another row or maybe in brackets but has to be mentioned in notifications for sure. Very needed upgrade!

1 Like

Hi Juliette - any info on if this is on the roadmap? Seems like such a basic need, especially if you all are going to start targeting larger companies with likely much more data and projects to keep organized.

1 Like

I completely agree and have voted on this same issue in many topics. But to add to the importance of the parent name in the subitem (or anything at this point to indicate which parent item the subitem correlates to!!), we have several boards that we archive the subitem tasks in order to save space once we are done with the “file”/item. Well, if you want to ever restore the subitem to see the updates etc. how do you know which one pertains to the item? I literally had to restore every single subitem I had to then get a hold of the right one. But just like MyWork, the Archive History info also doesn’t show what parent item a subitem belongs to!

1 Like

Would it be possible to add the Parent Record on the popup giving the details of a SubItem?

1 Like

When a subitem is assigned to a person, it shows up in their “My Work” view with only the subitem name. The names of subitems often don’t make sense without the parent item for context, and right now it is very tedious to have to go from My Work to the Main Board to view the parent item. These subitems should show the main item name as well in My Work.

1 Like

yes - please. Subitems are usually hard to put in context without seeing the parent. richt now if have to do a click for each item to see the parent. please show it directly in the overview

2 Likes

+1 for sure. Crucial

100% Parent item needs to be it’s own Column please!!!

2 Likes

It’s also duplicated here: My Work Customization: Add or hide ANY column to view & show parent Item name for Sub items

Just discovered a way to see “parent” items in the My Work view:
Subitems (tasks) that belong to a parent Item (“Project”) in the My Work view have a tiny subitem indicator icon next to them. Click this to see the parent items. Similarly, Parent items have a number in gray next to them; if you click this, you reveal the associated subitems.

This is FAR from intuitive and not the best solution, but it is far better than nothing!

It also looks like the pop up will summarize your columns, so we could probably create an automation that populates a column with the parent name. (Another workaround, yay.)

Hi community! Thanks for all your feedback.

I am a product manager at monday.com and me and my team have been reading all your suggestions as we work on improving the “my work” feature. :slightly_smiling_face:
I am excited to share that with the new my work improvements, you will be able see the parent item on top of each subitem at a glance. The new layout also presents the relevant board and group above the item instead of as a column, which saves a lot of the horizontal space and lets you better see the priority, date and status columns.

While this feature is in beta, we would love to get your feedback, since we know this has been one of the biggest request coming from our community and you have all given very useful feedback.
How can I access this feature? You can add this feature by going to monday labs and activating “new my work layout”.

2 Likes

Love it!!!

Thank you so much for this! This is a game changer!!!

This is great! Do you know if this will also be enabled for team capacity boards? We’d love to be able to see the item name (main task) above the subtasks. As of now you can’t tell which subtasks are associated with what item. Thank you!

@InbalHorn Can you please share the My-Work roadmap.

Thank you! I would prefer to have the option of keeping the group columns as well. Sometimes these are great to search/filter by! BUT I truly appreciate the parent item issue being resolved.

1 Like