Viewing Parent Item of a Subitem on My Work

In My Work, subitems show up with details of the board they’re on (Subitems of [board name]) and what group they are a part of. Depending on how you have your board set up, the group can be useless sometimes. Can we please see the Parent Item of the Subitem on My Work?

This is a must. I don’t know how this has so little votes.

I have an automation that creates several subitems, so there are many subitems with the same name and whenever we see those subitems in “My work” we can not diferenciate one from another.

I also tried to change the name of the subitem within the automation but there is no way to dinamicaly change the name depending on the parent.

I have this same issue. I’m also perplexed that more don’t have the issue. I have automations creating workflows when triggered, all named the same thing and only differentiated by their parent item. When trying to set dependencies, there is literally no way to know which subitem belongs to which parent item. Even if I expand each one, they only show the group and not the parent item. Please, please update – seems like it would be such an easy fix.

I just noticed this items is duplicated here and has 13 votes. So total 20 to date:

1 Like

I agree with this request for the reasons stated. My work listing is of no use without links to parent items

1 Like

There is another request opened with the same suggestion, it is a year old.
I don’t understand why it is taking so long to fix such a basic and obvious issue.

This is an issue for our team across pretty much all aspects of subitems. When we are working 60+ real estate contracts at a time and assigning tasks/subitems to people, they need to be able to see which property/parent item name the notification is coming from. It is not practical to expect someone to click into the link and open Monday just to find out, we just don’t have time for it.

Below is a test/example of what “My Week” would look like with just a fraction of the actual tasks assigned and also how it comes through on my daily highlights.

This issue persists when we want to communicate within a subitem. We have to reference the parent item name at the beginning of our message so that the notification includes it when it sends out. As we grow larger there is just no way to function with how it currently is.

This is an issue for everything … it looks like paren item board and subitem board are different and not related, because the parent item name never its shown on top of the subitem name.
We need this fixed too…

3 Likes

Agreed, it’s cumbersome at best to navigate back to the parent item to see what, or in our case what deal, the subitem pertains to. On the mobile it is even harder…

2 Likes

There are multiple suggestions open about this very topic that all have 5+ votes. I think this should be prioritized as an item because it’s crippling the usefulness of the “My Week” summary.

5 Likes

+1 this is definitely needed to improve the usefulness of subitems. Right now the subitem does not get any “context” of the parent item, really the context is the whole purpose of using a subitem.

Other similar threads:
https://community.monday.com/t/my-work-add-parent-to-popup-detailing-a-subitem/24893

3 Likes

Any updates here? I don’t see anything like this on the sub-items road map and it’s crazy to me to think it’s not being worked on. What about notifications from updates with sub-items? Not receiving an item name attached to the notification makes them useless for us.

4 Likes

I have the same problem

1 Like

Definitely +1 here. Any way to make this a prioroty?

2 Likes

Doubt it. They don’t even respond about it. Seems to be it would be a pretty glaring issue but I guess not. We have to remind everyone who posts in subitems to always reference the address. It’s super annoying and inefficient.

1 Like

Completely agree there needs to be a better connection between parents and subs.

Additionally, it could be very useful when in a formula and especially Emails & Activities you could use something {parent.id.columnname} or {subitem.id.columnname}.

This way you could reference from parent to any subitem and from any subitem to any parent or other subitem.

2 Likes

Crazy, we’re having the same issue. We are working on 20 projects with 109 subitems each, and everything looks the same and is a waste of time to click the “see all link” to determine which project needs attention. I sent an email to support but to no avail. If anyone discovers a “workaround” please share. I am considering pulling the plug on our subscription based on this alone.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

I wish this was a joke.

This is also something we’d like to see. Any update on this, Monday?

@Julietteb - who would be the best to reach out to for an answer to this? :smile: