When a subitem is added on one board, create a copy of that subitem on another board

Hi. I am a Project Coordinator at a consulting company, and we have Monday boards to track the progress of each of our projects.

Our team enters their tasks as subitems, and this is also manually entered in an Excel file that serves as each individual’s timesheet.

What we are trying to develop is a way that every time someone adds a subitem to a project board, it would be copied to another Monday board that serves as their timesheet. Basically, the goal is to eliminate double entry.

We would appreciate your insights on whether or not what we are trying to do is feasible as we have hit multiple roadblocks in our development. We have tried Microsoft Power Automate and built in Monday automations.

Thanks in advance!

Hello @pat-alliancetech ,

Welcome to the monday community! :muscle:

While it is not possible to (natively) create an item on another board just by creating a subitem, you can use a trigger on the subitem itself to trigger this creation.

It can be a status change, or a change in any column of the subitem ( for example the assignee).

This is a custom automation based on the status change, though you can also use the when column changes prompt.

You can create custom automations here.

Hope this helps!

Giannis, Implementation Consultant at thespelas.com

Thank you, @GiannisKoukounas! I will try this out.

I tried it out and this is great! Thanks a lot :smiley:

1 Like