When item is created in group assign this person

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to create an automation that assigned a particular person based on the group the item is created in? My team has a “Misc Tasks” board with each group for a different team member. If I create an item in the “Casey” group I’d like it to automatically be assigned to me.

2 Likes

Custom automations are at the top of the Monday Roadmap.
https://view.monday.com/39325084-bfc5c74be3d760bef14f4cd3ea04ffc2

What you want to achieve may be possible then.

Is this possible yet? I can’t see any option when creating a custom automation to trigger an action on item creation in a specific group. There is a pre-made automation similar for creating an update on this same condition, but I can’t customize it to assign a person instead.

Not yet.

Could be done easily with something like Integromat.

Any update on this? I need a person to be automatically assinged to an entire group as items are entered

Hi @KSP - There is now an automation that you can change a Status column based on a new Item being created in a specific group. If you don’t have too many staff members, you could piggy back automations to make this work. (187) PG Sales & Marketing ...

Eventually the “new item created in group” will be available in the custom Automations and then you’ll be able to remove the extra step. But for now this works well.

Another option to consider is this custom automation:
However, it will only work if an item is created in one group then moved.

Hi @caseyparnis :wave:

At present, we don’t have a native automation that will allow you to automatically assign a user to an item based on the group the item is created in.

Based on the details you’ve given, I wonder if you could use an alternative workflow here?
You’ve mentioned that you have a board of Misc Tasks that need to be delegated to your team members, who each have their own group.
I wonder if you could perhaps have a group at the top of the board where you add your new tasks and then assign the relevant user?
You can then use the following automation to move the item to the relevant employees group:

As @JCorrell mentioned, we do have the ability to use ‘when item is moved to group’ as a trigger or ‘move item to group’ as an action within the custom automations, so this would be the closest thing we have natively.

I hope this helps! Remember to mark as solved if this answers your question :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Best,

Dani

Hi again @caseyparnis!

I hope the answers in this thread were useful for you.
I’m going to go ahead and mark this thread as solved :partying_face:

If you have any additional questions on this or feel your question was not resolved please do let us know and we’ll be happy to continue to assist!

Best,
Dani

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.