Zap Could Not Be Switched On (Zapier Integration)

I am attempting to run a zap in Zapier using the New Item in Board trigger for monday.com. The zap fails to turn on and reports the following issue via email:

I have a valid API key with monday.com. The zap successfully connects in tests.

I have ZERO idea how to proceed. Please advise.

For the monday.com API developers: it’s frustrating for folks using your APIs when you return HTML or CSS for errors from a service endpoint. I would advise against it. Instead, I recommend you help your users self-serve and diagnose their own problems by providing a service-friendly error message. Better yet, use HTTP response codes (i.e. HTTP 401, 404, 500). You can dump errors into a JSON payload. Returning HTML isn’t ideal because responses may sometimes (like in the case of Zapier) get truncated.

This is because its failing at cloudflare not the API server - so something is up causing that, malformed JSON, something like that.

One thing to note is API errors (not network errors) when the API is GraphQL MUST be returned as JSON in an errors object in the response with a 200 HTTP code. Monday somewhat follows this by returned GraphQL errors as 200 HTTP, but some of them they return as an error_message string or error_code string or both. All should be in an errors object (with a structure defined in the graphql specification).

Would you post the query you put in the zap or is this a prebuilt zap?

1 Like

Nice catch (re: Cloudflare).

This is from the pre-built zap trigger that’s in the Zapier “marketplace”. I would prefer to use these triggers as opposed to constructing my own queries. (Yes, I’m lazy.)

Is it creating the webhook on the board itself? Or failing in that process?

Double check you haven’t extended the API version (old API) in your “monday labs”. This can cause issues potentially.

I’ve seen random errors where the request isn’t getting forwarded to the API server for some reason. This might be one of them and its usually transient.

I’m using the built-in trigger for the monday.com integration:

Everything looks good in the Zapier workflow designer:

I have a successful connection. I can pull test data. There are no variations and no special cases.

At this point, I’m stuck. The zap will not start and I do not have enough information to diagnose the problem. This is because the endpoint (or intermediary) is returning HTML/CSS that’s truncated (see original error message above). And Zapier doesn’t provide any additional information.

There are reasons I quit using Zapier :slight_smile:

This trigger just creates a webhook on the board, sounds like its failing at the create webhook phase.

Have you reached out to Zapier support as well? This to me seems like something in it is going wrong making the request. Its not a configuration issue that you did wrong.