Automate addition of a new CONDITIONAL question to an existing Workform

I know I can create a new column/question via API (though it would be very helpful for this to be possible with native automation recipes!) but there is still no way to:

• automatically make the new question visible in the form
  • make it conditional based on a specific answer to another existing question.

I have a client looking to use a Monday [Work]form to have employees submit the hours they spent working on any number of the team’s active projects.

I can use existing automation recipes to automatically add all new projects—sourced from items added to a separate board—as new dropdown options to keep the list fresh in the first question (“Which projects did you work on this week?”) but then we also need to create a new conditional question for each new project/dropdown option (“How many hours did you spend on {projectName} this week?”)

(e.g., When a new dropdown option called “Project Falcon” is auto-added to the list of projects to choose from, we also need to create a new question that is asked only when that new project is selected: “How many hours did you spend on Project Falcon this week?”)

IMO, this should at least be possible via API, if not Workflows/Automations, because we’d already have:

• The column ID of the parent question we’d need to add the conditional one to
  • The specific dropdown value that needs to be selected to trigger the condition
  • The column ID of the new conditional question

(And ideally, we’d also have the option to pass a Show/Hide boolean value, and maybe even the position/order of the new question relative to any other conditionals, but all of that is just a nice-to-have.)

Hey @arf,

You can simply use Google Forms which allows to build questions with conditional logic.

We developed an app called Google Forms Integration Plus that allows getting responses from Google Forms directly monday.com.
Google Forms is free to use and has advanced capabilities that are missing in monday’s forms, and our app offers more flexible and robust logic. It basically solves all the gaps in monday’s forms.

You can simply build a form with conditional logic and have it sync responses directly to monday →

You can also update an existing item (by matching the response to the item) →

You can find it in the monday.com marketplace in the platform or here - Google Forms Integration Plus - monday.com App Marketplace

Hope that helps!

I really appreciate your response, and the work you’ve done to fill this functionality gap! Thanks. :slight_smile:

Here’s why that is, unfortunately, not the solution I need:

• The client I’m working with has HIPAA data security requirements. They are not allowed to use any third-party apps (and they use Microsoft rather than Google Workspace). The solution must be native to Monday.com and its included tools.

• Google Forms do have better conditional logic than Monday Workforms, but it’s still very limited compared to the robust configuration options offered by Typeform, Paperform, Jotform, etc. If we were able to use an external form solution, it would be one of those.

• Even if the client did use Google Workspace, per their Forms API documentation, it does not appear that their batchUpdate() action allows me to specify conditionality, only question order—so I’d be in essentially the same boat as I am now.

• I want to reiterate that I really value the work third-party devs do to give Monday more robust functionality! But I’m fed up with Monday relying on apps as permanent solutions, especially when it comes to fundamental functionality. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve reached out about some arbitrary limitation or glaring functionality hole, only to be told by Monday that there’s a third-party app workaround—as though that’s the same thing as building the feature into their own platform. It’s not. Especially when those apps almost always carry their own extra costs (and their own liabilities re: data processing and company longevity)!

I’m asking Monday to be better. I want to see them show more of an interest in improving their existing features and fixing bugs to meet the needs of their current customers, rather than focusing on cranking out a bunch of shiny new features in hopes of luring in new ones.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk. :upside_down_face: