Automate: Connect multiple items in Board A to an item in Board B

Hello,

Use case: When a new item is created in the High Level Board, I have a Make automation to create a group in the Low Level Board with 2 items. I managed to connect the 2 items in the low level board by using the “Match” automation. However, I need a 2-way connection to connect Item A in the high level board to the 2 items in the Low-level board too. The “match” automation does not support connection to multiple items. Anyone has a workaround? Thank you

High Level Project Board

• Item A

Low Level Project Board

• Group A
    • Item 1
    • Item 2

Hey there! Have you tried implementing a second automation recipe that creates items in a connected board when a new item is created in the high level board?

Hello,

Yes, I did. However, since I need a group to be created in the low level board, this recipe does not work.

If I understand correctly first automation you made is working fine however you want when 2 items are created in Low Level Project Board it should automatically connect Item A to these 2 items.

In your make automation when 2 subitems are created give a delay of 10 sec and in next Select update item module and there in a connect colum connect these 2 items which you created in a automation.

I hope you understand. If you need help let me know.

RehanAQ | Implementation Consultant | Codex Solutions International

Hi @rehan.abdul

Thank you for your comments - you are understanding my 1st automation and issue correctly. However, my dilemma is when the low level board already has the 2 items generated, the 2nd automation can only map Item 1 to the high level board, it seems like it cannot handle the 1-to-many mapping. Any thoughts?

Hi There!

Dependent on how you have this being matched, you can infact match two items as long as they all have a field in common to match with.

In the match automation, make sure that the automation action is add connection and not replace.

Then you can do a timer trigger to change the status to set off the match automation to find the remaining on the other board to ensure all matches have been completed.

Hope this helps and feel free to reach out if needed!

Mike B
Automation Architect

Hi @MikeB_Axanexa

Thank you for your comments. Can you elaborate a bit on “Then you can do a timer trigger to change the status to set off the match automation to find the remaining on the other board to ensure all matches have been completed.”?

Assuming in the low level board Item 1 & 2 have a Creation date column that is the same. Thank you again.