Automation to clear Due Date

I’d like to request to add a new Automation.

"When a status changes to something, clear due date."

I think it’d be useful to many people. I want to use it in situations when status gets changed to completed, there is no longer due date. It’d be nice to clear it out by the means of this automation.

Thank you for considering it!

Hi @serguei.kolomeitsev! This will be available when we fully release our dynamic recipes that will allow for you to make custom built recipe sentences. We hope to see this released by end of Q1 or into Q2 of this year. Stay tuned for this exciting development! Cheers!

3 Likes

Circling back on this old thread, was this functionality released? Going through the standard and custom automations, while there are action triggers when a status change from/to anything, all the date setting fields require either a current date or a static date offset.

My use case is when a task is changed from done to any other status, I want a completed date column to be completely cleared.

5 Likes

I’m also looking for this feature. We have a board that tracks outreach. There are automations running for when status changes to x, set due date to today or today plus days. If the outreach is accepted early on, the pulse moves to a new group and the outreach dates aren’t needed anymore. We’d like to be able to have that column clear on its own so it won’t keep showing up in our team’s to-dos.

I’ve confirmed with support that this functionality is not available. If you’re looking for it, vote this up and drop lines to support!

2 Likes

@davidski @laurengarafalo

Have you checked out the app General Caster? Its available for free on the Monday.com Apps Marketplace. It replaces the need to use the formula column, which could “clear a date” in this scenario. But the formula column often isn’t supported alongside other Monday features yet.
General Caster is here. Get rid of formula columns!

So you would instead have General Caster setting your initial due date, and then you should be able to set up a simple “SWITCH” or “IF” formula that sets the date to “”(empty) based on a status change.

Without knowing more about your setup, I can’t give specifics, but if you want to share a screenshot or more details, I can help you set this up with General Caster.

Thanks for the suggestion @andrewalmand. The use case is very straightforward - when a status column changes from Done to any other status, any existing value of a completed date column should be cleared. I’m not interested in exotic formulas or additional Monday apps, but instead on the functionality originally expected in early 2020 of providing the action of “clear date” to the existing built in Monday automations.

2 Likes

I would love to see this functionality as well, especially as it’s such a simple ask. I have a board that is used to manage content posted to our internal resource portal. Some documents (e.g.: communications) expire after 3 months and are removed from the site. But, because the status changes to expired rather than published (done), I now get hundreds of notifications saying that items are past due. Right now, once something expires and is removed from the portal, I have to manually clear the publish date (due date). Really hoping the team can implement this small but impactful automation.

1 Like

I would also like to have this functionality - without any workaround or app, please. Automations are a wonderful and powerful tool - but only if flexibility in setting them up is guaranteed. In my opinion, changing dates via an automation is quite essential to maintaining the usefulness of automations.

Hi @lauralev. Any update on this? Your original post said this would be something released early last year, but I have not seen this function available yet in the custom recipes. Thank you.

I fully agree that a “clear column” action in automations would be very helpful!

Until it is available, one option, for some, might be to use the action in the automation shown below.

1 Like

I feel like this feature is just over the horizon. The ground work is already there with this automation:
Not sure how new this automation is, but its the first time I’ve noticed it. There can’t be much left but to add this functionality to other automations.

Hey Laura,

I (and others) am still interested in this feature.

I must also request this. It’s simple and was given the go-ahead over a year ago. @lauralev, could you provide an update?

1 Like

Seeing as @lauralev hasn’t been seen on here since May of this year, I’m wondering if she’s still with monday.com

Can we get a response from someone else at monday? @Dani maybe? Also wondering about this functionality that was supposed to release in 2020.

Hi @aholtzhauer :smiley:

@lauralev is still with us! She just isn’t as active on the Community as she was previously.
Happy to chime in here!

I’ve checked in with our product team for an update on this.
Currently this is on our roadmap as a potential candidate for a future release, as we know it is highly requested by our users.
That said, our development schedules are highly due to change and are ultimately decided by the developers so we can’t provide a specific ETA for this release at the moment.

I can absolutely appreciate how this would be an impactful addition to the platform for a lot of users and I would be happy to advocate for this change on your behalf :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I’m sorry I can’t provide any more specific details at present, but I do hope we will see this update in the future!

Best,

Dani

2 Likes

Hello, can we get an update on this? It seems to be a useful feature that many would benefit from. It would also be nice to be able to select more than one status value as criteria for changing a date. For example, I have three different statuses that represent an item as “done”, and I’d like to have one automation that changes a “Completion Date” to today when any of those statuses are selected. Similarly, if a person were to switch from a “done” status back to an active status, I would like one automation that would set the “Completion Date” to blank when any active status is selected.

+1 for this. There are so many custom recipes available it is so weird this one isn’t.

hi @Dani, sorry to outperform monday.com :slight_smile:

We created a small free app to can be used in any custom automation. To install it you can use this link monday.com: Where Teams Get Work Done

Hi all!

We sincerely apologise for the delayed follow up! We are working through a backlog as we improve our responsiveness on the community :pray:

In-case anyone has missed it, you should be able to create this particular automation through a custom recipe, using the clear column option:

We hope this helps!

1 Like