Board level discussion

Monday.com used to have this in an earlier version. But I was told they removed it. It was like having conversations at the board level instead of just at the pulse level like it is today.

I too would like this feature reintroduced & enhanced.

2 Likes

Dear @lindsay-monday.com,

That suggestion could somehow work if the updates area would be more like a chat. The conversations box is huge, not in a way optimized for chatting. I am glad you consider this feature because I believe having its own chat platform inside Monday would require less integration and give a more complete solution for team managing.

best,

Lucas

1 Like

What I think would be useful is to not super complicate the app with adding a one on one chat, channels etc. After all slack and teams are battling that out.

I think however there is a few things that would be great.

1. Ability to have internal chats like you can do on intercom, gist etc. This is where you make an update on a pulse and you switch to the internal or note or private tab (whatever you want to call it) so that guests (clients) do not see the update but it’s kept in context. For example Hey John can you review this file before we send to the customer.

2. Allow chat at a board level (essentially a channel). This would be very helpful when making an update about the board in general.

3. Updates on a dashboard, to allow discussions about the stats on the dashboard as now there is no way to do that and you must switch to slack or teams for this.

9 Likes

I agree. I am fairly new to the platform but I use Airtable everyday. I keep wanting to send a large group message on updates I am doing within the platform but I have to use email, which sucks.

Looks like they may be working on something. See the first feature mentioned 2/3 of the way down this article: https://monday.com/blog/remote-work/remote-hackathon-roadmap/

1 Like

That is awesome! I gotta say I am impressed with the customer service and quick innovation of Monday.com. Glad to see they did a Hackathon just to push cool stuff through for us to use as we work from home.

1 Like

Any updates on Chat feature @Julia-monday.com ?

4 Likes

Hello, I couldn’t find a real chat as well.
I will contribute a Chat Plugin, that runs soley on monday infrastructure on monday. Would anybody be interested in Beta testing it?

2 Likes

Hi @flobau I am still hoping the Monday team is going to implement chat and messaging in Monday. All the elements are there, like inbox, notifications, updates, items, boards an dashboards.
Add chat so we don’t have to jump to third party tools like Slack or Teams to be able to tell someone to check an item in Monday. I think the suggestion of how to implement chat from @nealb is spot on. It would streamline communication within Monday with 200%.
How will your chat plugin look like? How will it work? I am interested for a beta test, so count me in. Thanks

3 Likes

Yeah, I was also wondering.

I participate in the monday.com Apps Marketplace Challenge, so for me it was also a check how far I can push their infrastructure to work as Chat Infrastructure → the deadline is tommorow so I had a long weekend :slight_smile:

It is rather Alpha than Beta, nevertheless I want to share the current status with you:
Invite Link

(The allow screen looks scary → the app stays on monday.com only, if somebody is interested in the technology I open sourced the app on Github.com)

You can find my Application video here: https://youtu.be/QC32CM6EHQo

This is my first friendly user test, so I would be very interested in your feedback!

1 Like

I’ll check it out this week. Have a great start of the week tomorrow!

2 Likes

@RBurgos We have created Chat, a tool that automatically pulls in your Monday team and allows you to chat in public, private, and direct channels. You can also react with emoji and share images and files.

Check out it, we’d love some feedback and it’s still in beta Chat for Monday Teams

There’s an “Add to Monday” button you can use on this page

2 Likes

Looks promising. But what’s with the “minimum charge is for 5 users”? It’s a real frustration for a small business to pay for users that don’t exist.

3 Likes

Also @TuesdaysTools I have installed the Chat app but I don’t see how I access it. Can you help?

1 Like

@TheOtherPM That’s a fair question. Everyone that buys gets a dedicated chat server, and it’s a very real expense for us to deploy to and maintain. 5 users represents the bare-minimum price at which we can afford to operate a chat server.

As to installation, we’re working on an installation guide that we’ll put up on our website, but for now you’d add it just like you’d add any other dashboard widget:

That’s it - it’ll load Chat and log you in with your Monday account.

This is a publicly shared chat instance, so everyone that tries out the app will be here. The only restriction is that messages are deleted daily.

1 Like

There’s also an option to install it as a “Board View” - automatic fullscreen is the major advantage here, and it looks/works much better on mobile.

For that you’d pick any existing board, or create a new one, then navigate to the views dropdown, select “+ Add View” then “</> Apps”:

Scroll to the bottom and you’ll see your account apps, find “Chat” and click “Add View”:

That’s pretty much it, it should load and log you in from there.

2 Likes

@TheOtherPM - As Anders stated, we understand if there’s some frustration there. Many other chat services out there have minimum license seats required. Even monday has a minimum seat requirement of 3 users. Even at our min required seats, chat will cost you less than most any chat solution but the best part is we’re directly inside monday!

Happy to discuss further and give you a significant discount on your first year of usage since Chat is brand new. - contact@tomorrows-tools.com

2 Likes

Thanks @anderslyman and @TuesdaysTools for your explanations. I respect that re the data center costs.

We currently use Google Chat, which costs us nothing extra as part of G Suite. So that’s the comparison point for us.

Thanks again and I look forward to checking it out later

2 Likes

@TheOtherPM that makes sense!

If Monday had a native chat system, then I bet it would come at no additional fee as well - so I do see what you mean.

4 Likes

Hey I checked your plugin, I think it works great for private messages.
Although the notifications are not working for me

2 Likes