Creating individual sales targets and tracking them real time

Hi there,

I am struggling to create a simple sales tracking board (or boards) to track achievement to target for the sales team members. I have attached three images, the first one being the automation, the second one being a sample of the new board and the third is one of the conditions I am trying to meet.

I thought I could create an item in the new board (grouped by quarters/FYs) based on certain conditions being met. The challenge is that one of the conditions I am trying to meet is actually a formula column and Monday seems to be unable to consider the result of the formula as a condition. So in this example, if a line item was updated and the sales person condition was met, and the group was met (closed won) and the Q and FY condition is met, then it would create an item on the particular sales person’s board. The idea is to have one board per sales person and keep a running view of closed deals in each quarter and leverage a dashboard to see the results by person, by FY.

I have tried adding a dropdown column or a status column and using an automation (when column X changes then change status to Y). The issue is that the text that is the result of the formula is not an option for column X.

Does anyone have any ideas? If not, does anyone have a sales tracker they have built and are using that wouldn’t mind sharing?

Appreciate your thoughts and assistance!

Hi @Kelley
Hope all is well and welcome to the community
It might be possible for you to use the marketplace App General Caster
This allows you to create a formula or a formula that takes the value from another field and write the results as a value in a number or text filed

If you can write the results as a number field rather than formula, you should then be able to include that field in another automation as it will no longer be formula based
Hope this provides you with the solution needed
If you need anything in addition just let me know
Many thanks Dan

There are lots of different options available

Hi there @DanIngham-IOI

Thanks for the welcome! This looks like something we could use indeed. I will check it out!

Appreciate it.

Best,
Kelley

Hey @DanIngham-IOI ,

It looks like there are some very helpful automations available in General Caster. I’d like to try this scenario first, but I am not sure I am using the correct one. Above is a screen shot of something I am trying, but it does not seems to work the way I would expect. Perhaps I am using the wrong automation, or I am just not visualizing it correctly. In this case, I am expecting that when a particular column changes (and this column is the formula column) I can add the results of the formula in a separate column as text.

Two challenges:

• the first column option - the column I would like to use is the formula column, but is not available in the list.
  • the formula option looks like a notification message. I am not sure how to use this.

Perhaps the steps are backwards. Here is what I am doing.

Taking the results from one date column and using a formula in another column to get a result. Specifically, when a sales rep enters the actual date the opportunity closed, the formula column will take that date, run it through the formula to get a FQ and FY result. THIS is the result I need converted to text (in another column is fine as I can hide it) in order to build a board that has all the sales results by quarter, by fiscal year and by rep.

I also tried using the original date field and adding the formula I had in the formula column to this automation and casting the results to a text column, but I get the dreaded #NAME? result. Does the formula have to be slightly different in General Caster than in Monday?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kelley

Hi @Kelley
No problem
It the formula field you want to add the formula to, instead of trying to trigger from a formula field
Ie If a date changes (when column changes field)
do this formula (formula field)
cast the results to another field (column)

Although the formula field looks like a notification window you can do formulas here
ie if you just wrote 10+10 the casted result would be 20 when the date field changed
You might just need to have a play around to get the correct formula, required, as its different syntax to the Standard Monday formulas

Hope this helps
Many thanks Dan

Ok thanks, @DanIngham-IOI . I’ll give it a try!

Well @DanIngham-IOI et al,

In the interest of sharing to save everyone a couple of days of effort, I will share the results!

The sales member is responsible for entering the date that the deal actually closed. This is a date column within Monday so they merely have to select from the calendar.

From there, we have a formula column with the following formula:

IF(OR(MONTH({Actual Close Date})=1,MONTH({Actual Close Date})=2,MONTH({Actual Close Date})=3),"Q1 ",IF(OR(MONTH({Actual Close Date})=4,MONTH({Actual Close Date})=5,MONTH({Actual Close Date})=6),"Q2 ",IF(OR(MONTH({Actual Close Date})=7,MONTH({Actual Close Date})=8,MONTH({Actual Close Date})=9),"Q3 ",IF(OR(MONTH({Actual Close Date})=10,MONTH({Actual Close Date})=11,MONTH({Actual Close Date})=12),“Q4 “,””))))& YEAR({Actual Close Date})

This converts the date that the sales rep entered to a FQ and FY, so Dec 8, 2022 returns a value of “Q4 2022”

In order to use this information for dashboards/reporting, the value needs to be converted to TEXT.

Enter General Caster app.

Creating a TEXT column and adding the automation that says:

When this column (actual close date) changes, perform formula and cast results to this column (actual FY close date).

And the new formula is…

=“Q”&ROUNDUP(MONTH({Opportunity’s Actual Close Date})/3,0) & YEAR({Opportunity’s Actual Close Date})

What I found important was using the boxes at the bottom of the formula box so that it pulled the information for the exact Monday column and entered to the other exact Monday column.

Now we are going to try to use this information to create the dashboard and reporting.

I hope you find this helpful! Thanks to General Caster for a very useful app!

Cheers,
Kelley

Hi @Kelley
Glad this worked for you, Happy I could help and thanks for sharing your workings
If you need anything in additional, just let me know
Cheers Dan

1 Like

The challenge is that one of the conditions I am trying to meet is actually a formula column and Monday seems to be unable to consider the result of the formula as a condition. So in this example, if a line item was updated and the sales person condition was met, and the group was met (closed won) and the Q and FY condition is met, then it would create an item on the particular sales person’s board.