Get an end date from a timeline

Hello everyone,

I have a timeline column defined with a start date and end date. I am able to get the end date through a formula column using {Timeline#End} or FORMAT_DATE({Timeline#End}). Until here everything is fine.

However, if a try to make a chart with the this formula column, Monday.com will not recognize it a date, so all the date options (Group by Day, Week, Month, Year, etc.) are not available either.

Any idea of how to get it the end date with a date column or transform the formula column to a date format that Monday.com will identify as date?

I know there is this app from the marketplace (Start + End = Timeline) that should work, but I wanted to do it just with Monday.com.

Thanks in advance!
SimĂłn

1 Like

Hi @SimonAcu

A formula column is calculated inside the client (browser) and therefore not accessible by any automation etc. That is why we developed this Start + End = Timeline app. You can achieve the same with a more generic app, called General Caster. Or you can create a Make scenario. In all cases you are using a service outside monday.com. That is your only option as the formula column is designed to work in the client.

Just curious about the reason you don’t want to use an external service for this.

1 Like

Thanks @basdebruin :slightly_smiling_face:

Answering your question, it’s just a matter of the time spent completing the security & privacy checks from the IT team for every new add-on. In addition, if any cost is added to the external service, a business case needs to be presented which adds even more time. That’s the main reason behind it :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

hi @SimonAcu

Understood. These apps lives inside monday and connect at the backend to monday. Therefore security & privacy checks should not be to complicated. And for the costs… 37 Euro as a one time payment for all of your monday boards / users. I sincerely hope that these kind of costs do not require a business case, because the costs to create the business case is probably higher the the 37 Euro :slight_smile:

Yes, in this case the cost is not a big deal, it would be if that was a recurring cost and higher cost, as most of the apps.

Regarding privacy and security, when they see the following statement, all the alarms are triggered :upside_down_face:: "All apps in our marketplace are reviewed by our team for functionality and basic security, however, we do not endorse or certify any apps . As such, you should only install apps that you trust. When you install an app, you will see a list of permissions that the app will have access to.

2 Likes

Just adding my voice to what SimonAcu wrote here. In any regulated industry or publicly traded company, the IT security reviews and business case process can easily take 6 months and a TON of effort – and still end up with a “no.” “Just add a third-party app, unsupported by the company, with uncertain longevity and security,” is not a good answer from any enterprise system.

Said another way: if third-party community members can develop the functionality where they can afford to sell it for one-time 37 Euros, then maybe Monday.com should add the functionality native.

7 Likes

I’m facing the same problem, it was an uphill battle to get Monday.com approved for use at my company and now I’m finding out that a BASIC feature requires the use of a 3rd party app. Come on Monday… how am I going to recommend this platform if you can’t have this built in and instead depend on 3rd party apps?

3 Likes