Guests unable to view mirrored columns?

Good afternoon,

We are working on a project and wanting to produce a case study. I have made a board to demonstrate key stake holders which is pulling from a “Core” list of stakeholders (using the mirror function)

The board in quesiton;
https://view.monday.com/embed_preview/474011203-488b44b2b3aa1c2f3925fdb899c6869a

As you can see, no columns are visible. However, when I share the core list, all names and details are visible.

Please can someone tell me how to show this information using the mirror function? Not using it would make a lot of duplication of work across various projects.

Thank you.

KR,
Charlie.

1 Like

hey @CharlieMarsh - At this time mirror columns on a board would not be part of that shared view.

Are you looking to share a view from mirror columns? Or are you just looking to share a information from a board?

If the latter what about creating a customize view on the board that has the data that you want to share and then broadcast it (filtering boards)?

Hi @bradley. Is this something that is being looked into implementing? Defeats the purpose of mirrored columns if guests cannot see them.

As explained, I have a main board “Key Stakeholders”, and I use that to feed other boards for project specific stakeholders without having to duplicate work. Quite disappointing that a simple feature of guests being able to view everything on that board isn’t enabled. The organisation I want to give access to are from a different email, so setting them up as a “View Only” member is out of the question. Thank you anyway.

KR,
Charlie.

3 Likes

This is not being worked on since columns that are needed to be shared would live on the board that would be shared.

What you can do is have the board that needs to be shared with all these columns. You would then create your own board (main or private) to mirror those columns to your board and then add the columns that you should only see.

Let me know what you think.

@bradley I essentially need the same function. And was told by a Monday.com employee helping me troubleshoot by video that this was possible. I have now spent an incredible amount of hours, completely restructuring our original boards, creating 2 new boards per client (over 20 boards), adding 52 automations to each original board, mirrored all the columns between the 2 boards for each client, and now I find out due to several client complaints that they can’t see any of the linked/mirrored columns. I am beyond frustrated and extremely disappointed. Can you please explain to me why I was told this was possible? Am I missing something?

2 Likes

Hey there @lhendricks - a lot of context that I’m not privy to (the conversation with other team member at monday.com, your workflow, screenshots from your guests).

If you would like to explore this further emails us at support@monday.com, feel free to mention my name so I can take a look and advice my team.

@bradley - I have a similar issue. In my current case I’m ok if my guest don’t see the mirror columns (although I agree with the OP), however, I have a formula column which takes one of the values from a mirror column and therefore the guest cannot see the results from the formula as it seems like you need actually have permission to see the mirrored columns in order to get the results. Is there a solution to this issue? Thanks

1 Like

Hey @mosheeh, thanks for following up here! The solution would be the same in this case—the guest would actually need to have the permission to see the mirrored column in order to get the formula column results.

The guest would need to see all columns pulling into the formula.

2 Likes

Hey @TRB-monday.com,

Im having the same issues as all of the other guys here. It seems like this is a bit counterintuitive.

If im mirroring specific columns from an unshared board to a shareable board, surely that means that im aware that these values are going to be seen by whom ever its’ being shared with. And because of this they should be able to see it.

Why should I need to give permission to both boards? If you know what i mean?

Really feel like this should be a simple solution. Would there be any chance of putting this as a feature request.

Cheers,

2 Likes

Hi @jonathandbem - There is another way to approach this. Instead of using a mirror column to display the data (which does indeed require a user to have visibility rights to the source), you can instead automatically copy the data over using the VLookUp app. We’ve used it with several clients to solve this very issue, and it works well. It’s in the Marketplace here: https://www.monday.com/marketplace/99

It can be a little hard at first to wrap your head around how it works, so if you would like a private demo you can book one here: Book a call with Polished Geek: Do more with monday․com

We are not the app developers, however, we have used it often since it was released and will be happy to walk you though how it works and answer any questions.

1 Like

As @PolishedGeek said, this can be solved with VLookUp. As this is somewhat difficult to setup I am in the final stages of adding another app to our portfolio, called Match-Index-Column. This app only needs to be installed on the target board (the one receiving the data) and work like the Excel Match-Index combi. The app does not have / need a boardview and is configured by a recipe:

You can have as many “source boards” you want (a recipe per source board/column). The apps supports these column types:

• for matching: text and number
  • for index: name, text, number, dat, timeline, status, dropdown

The output will be written to a column with the same type as the source, no conversion is made.

For status and dropdown: the app will automatically add status / dropdown values in the target board if they do not exist in the target column.

If you have a requirement for other columns, please let me know.

1 Like

Hey @basdebruin Let me know when that new app is released! We have a client that wants to avoid using any board view apps for configuration due to security and data integrity concerns.

Hi Deb @PolishedGeek

Sure I will, I expect max 2 weeks before it is ready for serious beta testing. In the current state it matches well. What needs to be done is:

• when the index value in the source board changes > change the target board index column
  • when the match value in the source board changes > do reverse lookup

I also want to pick your brain here. What should the app do when it finds multiple match values in the source board. Current behavior is to clear the target index column as the app treats this as a duplicate key. Any other columns to support?

Wow stumbled across this at exactly the right moment… trying to do the same thing (keep a canonical internal board, and mirror out a subset of columns with an external partner)… setting notifications on this thread, looking forward to seeing updates!

hi @czsays

Welcome to the community and this thread. Development of Match-Index-Column is progressing. There is still room for changes :slight_smile: so would love to hear your opinion on the current design decisions listed below. Target board is the one receiving the data form the source board when there is a match.

• supported columns for matching: text and numbers
  • supported column for index: text, numbers, date, timeline, status and dropdown
    –for status and dropdown values that are not present in the target board’s column will be added
  • in case there are multiple matches (e.g. ask John’s birthdate and there are multiple John’s in source) the index value in the target board will be cleared (can’t think of a priority here)
  • update are done on changing:
    – match in target > new search in source and update index values
    – index in source > index in target board (multiple target boards if configured) will be updated
    – match in source > matched values in target board match column will also change
  • column types in source and target needs to be the same (e.g. status > status, numbers . numbers)
  • all output written in “normal” monday columns that can be used in other automations

Curious to learn if you have other requirements.

2 Likes

@czsays we’re are to help you with your VLOOKUp setup if needed https://monday.com/marketplace/99

Hi @CharlieMarsh You can use VLOOKUP app for that. Here is a demo How to share linked-items with guests on sharable board - YouTube

Let me if this is helpful

@Nir-Jetpack appreciate the offer-- the original automation I was using before discovering the visibility problem created an item on the target board and connected the columns-- the problem is, VLOOKUP can’t use the item name as the target field, or a formula column that recreates it. I think that might wind up a blocker for us unless there’s a way around that I’m unaware of.

1 Like

hi @czsays
I am busy to include the Name column in my future app. Questions:

• Do you want to use the Name for matching purposes only (or also for getting the name of the source item to the target item)
  • If Name column is used for matching, do you want to match to any text column (in the target) or to the Name column in the target?
1 Like

At the moment the create item automation generates the matching item, which ideally then becomes the primary key for all mappings moving forward-- we wouldn’t need to populate the target with the source name in our case but I am sure there is a case for it for someone.

We want to match to the Name column, but again that’s because the items are a perfect 1:1 across boards… I can picture a case where someone wants to use the name from the source as a matching text column on the target, with a different name for the item on the target board itself. Let me know if that makes sense!