Mirror Column different Access

When linking 2 boards using the Mirror Column, guest users need to have access to both boards in order to see the mirrored info. But if one of the boards (the main board) contains sensitive information, is there a way to only give our guest users access to the board with selected mirror columns without access to the main board?

Thanks

Great question! We need this to

2 Likes

ABSOLUTELY agree Jirehly! I have similar concerns with sharing ALL boards to guest that I just want the high level board view with the info that I want them to see.

Hopefully, this is something the monday team can bring to use in the near future.

6 Likes

Hey everyone! @Laura @MKBontwikkeling @jirehly good question here!

Often times, what we see done here is the reverse of what you would think- this is done by putting all necessary info onto the Shareable board and then mirroring in that info onto the main board.

From there, you go through and add all other sensitive info and columns on the main board where the guest will not have access.

Does this make sense? Let me know if not, I can elaborate further!

1 Like

Hi Brett,
Thanks for responding. Would you be able to create a Loom screen recording of how to do this? Because it doesn’t seem to work the way you described. The guest actually doesn’t see the entire board and not just the column that is linked.

2 Likes

Hey Brett,

I understand what you are describing as I use and am familiar with shareable boards. What I am hoping for is to invite a guest to a shared main board (or have access to a dashboard where independent boards can be viewed as a group) because in a situation where each guest is invited to a single independent work-board for inputting their own details, the overall group of guests should only see the combined and selected columns of the individual boards of each guest on a main shared board. Each person’s unique board at this time needs to be shared with the entire group for them to have view-ability to the main board if that main board is shared. In my use case presently, it is for interviewing candidates and rating them. The idea is to not see what each of the guests say in the details at this time, just to see how the candidates rate in a combined score from all the independent boards. Does that make sense?

2 Likes

Hello, just wanted to see if this is now an option, 'cause I am linking four different boards now into one for the sake of reporting and the person I am reporting to doesn’t have access to all of the boards I will mirror. Wouldn’t want to loose time if he won’t see the info in the end.

I have the same issue, only I found out after I had set it all up

1 Like

Seems this one didn’t get any traction, which surprises me. Would be very advantageous to be able to share pieces of a board through mirrored columns w/out giving the guest access to the main board. We use our main board as a database full of items not shareable w/ the guests. having to manually build the guest’s boards when the needed items are sitting on the master kills the efficiency of using Monday.

6 Likes

Having the same problem also.

i have a board with a lot of data and want to do a shared summary based on mirror collumns. My clients are loosing patience in this solution.

1 Like

Having the same issue and request as the rest here.

I understand what @brett-monday.com is saying here but i feel like it is counterintuitive. It feels like its backwards, the way you’ve suggested.

If i was to follow how you mentioned i would need to first fill out the information on the shareable board then i would need to go to my main board (with sensitive info) and finish filling out the rest of columns there. Im having to go to TWO different boards to fill out the information for ONE task. Doesn’t seem like a most user friendly way.

The way we are proposing is that we fill out all the information for a task on the main board then it will automatically populate into the sharable board with only the columns we want to share. I get that the main board is not being shared so thats why they cant see the mirrored columns but if im PURPOSELY adding these mirrored columns to the shareable board surely that is me saying its okay to share that info with whomever is being shared with.

Seems like a pretty simple thing to be implemented.

4 Likes

Hey Jonathan,

I have got the very same issue. I’m using one board that gather all the project in progress with different informations I already share internally via Monday.com users.
Now I also want to share some information with our customer using shareable boards but I cannot share the mirror columns.

Now that I have a complete main board which columns are already shared internally I canno’t go backward and fill-out the shareable boards first.

@brett-monday.com , do you have any dev in progress regarding this?

Best regards,

Nicolas

2 Likes

Hey All!
We have created a custom solution for this.
We setup a private highlevel board for all our main data that only some people need access to. And sharable board that the rest of our guest have access to.
If any is interested in our Integration i would be happy to share with you. :grinning:

Best regard.
Sindre

We also have the same problem.

This would be an option if you only have one shareable board and one master board.

In our case, we have all the projects in one place, and want to share with the customer the state of their projects, so they can’t see all the works from other clients.
I cannot mirror all the information that I need from all the customer boards, since they would be multiple information sources to be delivered in one unique place.
How could this be done?

3 Likes

Hello! I have the same thought and need. I ignore the criteria behind the fact that users MUST be into all boards that you connect. I mean, why it’s a mandatory condition to show the information of the columns mirrored?? If it’s to use internally and for example with summary boards, OK you add all your team and done! But if it’s between shareble boards, Why is that mandatory?? is it possible to remove that first condition??

Hi SindreSvee - I’m interested in learning what integration you put in place!

Hey @rckent,

We have a highlevel board where there are only administrator users. We have some of the information that needes to be shared with the users on the child board. So we created a custom integration to casts the value from one column to a different column on the linked item on a different board.

It was pretty simple to set up the integration if you have looked into creating your own integrations. Else we will soon have an public integration available with alot of other awsome features.

Best regards.
Sindre

Thank you @SindreSvee! When you say “custom integration”, did you need a developer to create this? Or did you use a tool like Zapier / Integromat? If I can create a custom integration on my own (I don’t have developer experience), that would be awesome.

Hi, @rckent I am a developer so this was pretty easy to create. You could create this in Zapier or Make / Integromat. But was equaly as fast to make as an integration (and way cheaper!). Here is the general setup and use of the integration.

Select the column you want to send data from on the highlevel board, and select the link column. Then it picks up what columns are on the target board.

Super Secret Highlevel board:

Public board:

I wrote a text in the column i wanted to send data from on the private highlevel board:

And it gets sendt to the Public board in the target column i selected from earlier:

This way we bypass the restrictions where only people with access to both boards can see the mirror column values.

There are already integrations out there like VLookup but it gets a little pricey.