How to assign people based on multiple different statuses

Hi, I am looking at the option to create only 3 automation, instead of 60 that would do the same.

We have 3 team members in our team. Depending on the contractor (Status column) these people will be assigned.
Let’s say, if contractor (Status column) is A, B, C or D - this will get assign to Mary. If contractor is EFG, this will get assigned to John. And so on.
So far, the only way I found is to create automation for each individual Status - 40. Which is really complicated.

So I am thinking of automation like, if Status is this OR this OR this - assign person.

Can this be done?

Thanks

Hi Michaela,

Try something like this:

IF(SEARCH({Status},"A,B,C,D",1)>0,"Mary",IF(SEARCH({Status},"E,F,G",1)>0,"John","Bob"))

Want to take your formulas to the next level? Try the Advanced Formula Booster, the app that reinvents formulas in monday.

• Create formulas without using the Formula column (and avoid its limitations)
  • Build formulas involving data from the previous item, the next item, the sub-items, the parent item, even items in the same group or the same board.
  • In one formula, update multiple columns from multiple items.

Check our blog for real use cases.

Hi @Misha,

You can use drop-down column instead of status column for the contractor.
In this way you can use one of following automation:

1. When an item is created and only if drop-down contains one of these labels (a, b , c) then assign Mary, and so on.

2. When column changed and only if dropdown contains one of these lables (a, b, c), then assign Mary, and so on.

Hope that helps,
Oz

Hi Oz,
unfortunately, this will not work for us as the column needs to be ‘status’ type, not ‘dropdown’. The reason being is that we also use Outlook calendar integration and for the calendar to pick up the columns, in needs to be Status, not dropdown.

We are always facing something like this haha.
Thank you though

Hi Michaela,

Sorry I misunderstood your issue in my first response.

You can achieve what you want with a 3rd-party app called the Advanced Formula Booster.

The Advanced Formula Booster allows you to create formulas without using the formula column and to cast its results to any type of column.

In this case, you could achieve what you want with a simple formula and 1 single automation. Here is the result:

AssignUserDependingonStatus

Here is the formula:

2024-04-21_20-43-02

Since the formula editor of the Advanced Formula Booster can accomodate up to 100 lines, there is no need to enter more than 1 contractor per line. It is easier to read and maintain this way.

As far as automating it is concerned, a single automation does the job:

2024-04-21_20-46-17

Hope it helps.

Hello again @Misha ,

I see…
You can set a workaround for this:

1. Set a dropdown column for the contractor (I know you need a Staus column for the outlook integration, but keep reading :wink:).
  2. Now set a Status column also for the contractor.
  3. The next step will be setting up the automation as follows:

When column changes (choose the dropdown column here) and only if dropdown contains one of these labals then assign Mary and then set status (the contractor status column) to “name of contractor”.

Is it solving your use case?

Oz