How to package custom integrations/automations with workspace template?

Hi all,

I’m currently looking for the best way to perform deployments. Here is my use case:

• I have a monday application built with the app framework. It has 1 feature which is a custom integration. In it I have all my custom monday recipes that allows advanced monday action through the GraphQLAPI. Lest call it app1.
  • I have another monday application, which has 1 feature: a workspace template. The workspace template uses the custom integration (app1) a lot. Lest call it app2.

So for deployment, I would like to have a way to install the workspace template (app2) with all my custom integration recipes from app1.
I’ve tried to first install app1 in a monday account and then to install app2. But none of the recipes from app1 (integrations or automations) were cross over during installation of app2.

I had to manually set all the automations/integrations in the installed workspace template (app2), which is tiedious and error prone.

Is there anyway that I can install app2 with the recipes from app1 ? (I would prefer to keep them separate since app1 could be used in another workspace template app3)

Thanks

Hello there @guidou4,

That sounds strange. I just tested it and it is working well for me.

What I did:

1. I created app 1
  2. I added an integration feature for app 1
  3. I added a recipe and saved
  4. I went to a board and added the recipe
  5. I created app 2
  6. I added a workspace template with the board in which the recipe (from app 1) was added
  7. I saved
  8. I went to the app 1 configuration page and promoted the version to live
  9. In app 1’s configuration page I went to the “share” section, accepted the terms and copied the link
  10. I installed app 1 in another account
  11. I went to app 2’s configuration page and promoted the app’s version to live
  12. I clicked on “share” accepted the terms and copied the link
  13. I installed app 2 in the same account as where I installed app 1
  14. I added the workspace from the template I created in app 2
  15. I checked the board and the recipe from app 1 was there (it took a few seconds to appear)

Are you doing something in a different way?

1 Like

Hi @Matias.Monday ,

Does tha app containing integration recipe was integrating with external application or Monday only?

I redid the same test as you, but with the gmail integration this time & same result:

upon installing workspace template, gmail integration was not there, i had to re-add it to my board.

EDITED FOR CLARIFICATION

Hello again @guidou4,

I was using a custom app for the integration.

This will not work with a Gmail integration that is custom made with a block from the Gmail app.

But if you add an integration directly from the app (not custom made), the integration will go over and you will have to configure it when adding the workspace.

1 Like

Hi again @Matias.Monday,

Can you please elaborate ?

Why will the Gmail integration won’t work ? Does this extends to any custom intregration that connects to an external application ?

For instance, the custom integration I use connects to an external application that runs on AWS. Is there any way I can ship a workspace template with my custom recipes in it ?

I’ve now tried to add a workspace template ‘feature’ to my monday app itself (the one which also has the custom integration recipes). Whenever I install on another account: no custom recipes…

However I also notice something: the other 2 accounts I tried to install my workspace template on seems to have a different monday version… is this possible and could this be the source of my problem?

For example, in my account, to modify automations/integration I go here:

in target accounts, there is no ‘workflows’ but rather this:

Hello again @guidou4,

If you have a board and in that board you have integrations from custom apps, they will go over to the new workspace being created with the workspace template app feature.

The ones that will not go over are custom flows that use blocks from apps.

If you have a custom app that has recipes and a workspace template and you are using that workspace template from a workspace that has those recipes, they should go over to the newly created workspace.

If that is not the case for you, please schedule a call with us here so we can take a look together.

Cheers,
Matias

Thank you @Matias.Monday I booked a call this week.

in the meantime, I have an hypothesis why this does not work, could you validate please?

Could it be that integrations are not cross over to the new account because the custom integration app implements the oauth workflow? (it has an authorization url)

Hello @guidou4,

I will check with the team in charge of that to see why the mechanism does not allow those automations to cross over and let you know!

Cheers,
Matias

Hi @Matias.Monday

I wanted to comeback on this, do you have any more information from the team in charge of that ?

To do a small summary, here are the steps I followed:

1. I created app 1
  2. Add authorization URL to app 1
  3. I added an integration feature for app 1
  4. I added a workflow block for custom action & corresponding recipe and saved
  5. I went to a board and added the custom recipe
  6. Built & deployed web application corresponding to app 1 somewhere on the internet (url starting with https://…)
  7. Tested app 1 on current board, it works fine
  8. I created app 2
  9. I added a workspace template with the board in which the recipe (from app 1) was added
  10. I saved
  11. I went to the app 1 configuration page and promoted the version to live
  12. In app 1’s configuration page I went to the “share” section, accepted the terms
  13. I clicked on “share only with specific monday accounts” & pasted the account slug of account with which I wanted to share & copied the link
  14. I installed app 1 in another account
  15. I went to app 2’s configuration page and promoted the app’s version to live
  16. I clicked on “share” accepted the terms and copied the link
  17. I clicked on “share only with specific monday accounts” & pasted the account slug of account with which I wanted to share & copied the link
  18. I installed app 2 in the same account as where I installed app 1
  19. I added the workspace from the template I created in app 2
  20. I checked the board and the recipe from app 1 was NOT there, even 1 day later…

Hi @guidou4,

Thanks for sharing these additional details. I’ll follow up on the conversation that @Matias.Monday was having and get back to you as soon as I hear from them.

Hi @alessandra , i have the same problem that @guidou4 encountered, is this a known bug?

Hello there @muf711 and welcome to the community!

I hope you like it here :muscle:

If you create both app features (the workflow feature and the workspace template feature) in the same app, it should work well.

Cheers,
Matias

1 Like