Link-Column with a Local Link (not Web-Link)

Hi There! I do have a work around for everyone.
First: Right click on the folder or file you want to link, and select send a link to this folder

This is meant to send via Ourlook, but it also allows you to copy the link.

Then you can paste that into a link column.

I hope that works for everyone.

This of course only works when you use Zeedrive.

HI @monday-team @CSG @monday-team Any update if this is going to be actioned as would be useful as most of our files are stored on a network drive?

4 Likes

Our company has been waiting years for this function. Same as others: big files on local network, that are frequently updated, in formats that don’t preview. Such as AutoCAD DWG and RVT.

We’ve been on a slow rollout for over a year and finally getting traction but this is a sticking point for our users. We ask them to cut and paste the path from the location bar and then append the file name. Both by copy-paste, it renders a dumb text link that others can copy-paste in their own explorer window. Clunky and error-prone.

Our staff are trained to use file-linking in Outlook using CTRL+K on the keyboard. Telling them Monday.com doesn’t have parallel functionality perpetuates their behavior of sending file links via email instead of updating the conversation in Monday.

4 Likes

It should be possible to integrated this funkction easily. The added value would be huge.
This missing is one of the reasons our company has not yet switched to monday.

2 Likes

Has a work around been created for this? As others in this thread we have project files that are too large to upload direct to MDC. We are using MDC to streamline our business but this is currently causing us a big issue.

Does anyone from Monday.com ever respond to these threads as I cannot see any??

2 Likes

Also looking for this feature in our Company. Monday development team, please help out!

1 Like

Much needed feature

2 Likes

Really need this feature as well. All our work is on Drive network folders

1 Like

Adding my voice to this thread. Also have a lot of local network files linked to projects. Would love to be able to link to the network path for quick access. @BiancaT Would love if you could get the attention of the development team to consider this one in the next round of items to be added to the Roadmap

hi @Terry.Heard

Don’t think that is ever going to happen. When it would be possible to link to local files (residing on your PC, server) how would other users have access to those files? Those other users might not have access to your PC, server or whatever device you are storing files locally. The solution is to upload those local files to somewhere where other users can access them (like Gdrive or OneDrive).

I have to disagree. Why wouldn’t it be possible to link to a folder on a shared server? We do that all the time. We do have to share the path manually, but we have absolutely no problem sharing it.

2 Likes

We all work in the same office, not remote sites. So all users do have access to the files from their computers. It would just be a time efficiency improvement in being able to link directly to the files for each project.

1 Like

That might be the case in your situation, but I don’t think monday will support this as many other accounts will have users working from different offices. I am only trying to put some rational behind this, the final word has to come from monday.

We are working from all over the world, but we are working with the same server and the folder is the same on each Laptop. As we work with very sensible Data we need to use the local file structure with encryption.
You can perfectly link the files in Excel, so that it works on every Laptop. We just need this feature in Monday as well.

1 Like

I see where you’re coming from, but Outlook offers this feature which our company takes advantage of all the time. We put hyperlinks to a specific file from our server into an email all the time in order to share files with one another. The great thing about using a link in an email too instead of just uploading the file is that the link offers a dynamic access to the file where any changes you make to the file even after sending a link will be captured and the link will always remain the same (so long as the file path doesn’t change) whereas a file attached to the email is stagnant once it’s been attached meaning you would have to make changes and save and send it back and forth if you had multiple people working on it.
If Outlook can offer this feature of providing a link to local files, all well knowing that there will be times when someone outside of the organization would not be able to access the file being linked, why couldn’t Monday.com do the same?

3 Likes

Hey,
this seems a good use for https://www.linkyourfile.com/

It is a mac and windows extension that allows you to create an https link for a local file or folder. If you click the link it will automatically open the file or folder you linked if it is available locally.

2 Likes

This actually seems like a fair option to ease workflows.

1 Like

Adding my request to this as well - this feature would be extremely helpful for our workflow.

We are also looking for a function to link a folder or a file within monday to get directly into the macOs-Finder without clicking through many folder.