Link-Column with a Local Link (not Web-Link)

Hi everyone,

Our Issue:
We have many tasks that are associated with a large number of files. Those files are all saved on a local network-share. I want to be able to easily access that folder in Monday. It is not practical to attach every single file to a task (too many files, also they have to be accessible by other applications). I’d prefer to have a simple link to our local path, to be opened with Windows Explorer. The available “Link-column” does not work, as every link generated will start with a “http:” will therefore be opened in the browser.

It would be nice to have a column very similar to the link-column, but with a local path, e.g. “X:\project\customer1\”, that then opens in Windows Explorer.

Our Workaround:
We currently use a normal Text-column with the link as plain Text, so we can copy/paste it to Windows Explorer. This works, but feels a little clumsy, especially when the link is very long.

7 Likes

We would love the same feature. We’re currently using the exact same copy/paste workaround, and it’s definitely more time consuming.

4 Likes

Along similar lines but somewhat more niche. I would really appreciate being able to link to Bentley ProjectWise. I work in the Rail Industry and there are all kinds of sensitivities about Intellectual Property and security around various types of information (e.g. Drawings). Monday is great for creating whatever workflow I want and managing issues but as a project we could get into trouble for allowing people to share certain information. ProjectWise is the defacto drawing management system for all Infrastructure Projects. ProjectWise links work fine in MS Word and Excel but that is because they are talking to the ProjectWise client application on the local PC. There is a work around that is a bit clunky. Save links into a .htm file (web page) and add to the files section of a pulse. Depending on your browser settings, clicking on the file will open up a new tab in which the link will work (becase the file has been downloaded to your PC as a temporary file). This works for local PC or local Network links.

1 Like

We have exact same problem.

I recently submitted this idea as feature request, unfortunately i wasnt aware of community forum until few days ago.

This feature would make our life so much easier. We have a lot of project documentation and 3D models which are to large (and also need constant editing until project is finished) to be able to upload them to Monday.com. This would make our life much easier and make full transition to Monday.com (since we are still in “building” phase with idea to expand it to rest of the company step by step) much easier and faster!

I though about same workaround, but due to number of files per project and quite log links from internal storage and NAS its not practical at all.

6 Likes

It seems to me that if you are using NAS Monday.com should make it possible to build links from component parts using data in columns. I know it can’t do this but it would be good if it could. So one column would contain the name of the route level directory, another the subfolder, another the filename. A special new local link column would build the link for each pulse based on the component info. You could use Automations based on Group Names to to populate directory names…

3 Likes

We would also love this added as a feature for our use case-- 90% of our project handoffs involve linking to project folders in our windows environment. Even just the option to not auto input the http:// and instead allow for file:// *should work in chrome. This could be a pretty easy feature to add.

1 Like

Also want to remove the automatic https for another work around.

Currently the mailto links don’t work because they have a http forced infront of them.

1 Like

The Link column should definitely be able to link to local links. We are using a NAS Synology and de links in the column are not clickable which is a waste of time (having to copy paste the inserted url). Slack does that really wel and it doesn’t look like a hard thing to implement.

On top of the clickable local links I would love to see multple links in a link column Multiple links in link column

4 Likes

Has this moved on, as its Feb 2021 and I cant find a way to do this still. I too am working with files that are too big to upload and I am not sure that my company would be happy with storing files offsite but would love to have a way to have a clickable link that opens up the files directly.

4 Likes

We could use that too as we currently do the exact same thing, which is copy-paste the link in a texte column…
It works but it feels more like hacking than right use and is not comfortable…

1 Like

We would also like this feature please.

1 Like

Monday Dev Team… there is an EASY win here… please update the verification on the LINK column to allow file:// rdp:// ftp:// smb:// sftp:// tel:// skype:// etc etc … these would then all be supported directly by the browser, so EASY change for you to make and would make the link column much more flexible…

10 Likes

Our team is also looking for this feature! Please add this Monday…

Any news on this feature?
We could really do with it too.

I believe Monday have updated the LINK column, so some additional links will now work… I haven’t tested or seen a formal list from Monday as to what links will now work, but you should find it has more capability ! [Thank you Monday Dev Team! :slightly_smiling_face: ]

Still does not address what folks here are asking for (at least I certainly couldn’t get it working with file://) Please if I am wrong, I would love to know what I am doing wrong. I would very much like to be able to use such functionality!

1 Like

I tried to use it for opening links to our ERP system: (Ridder-links : starting with Ridder://).
This works in Browser (Chrome) but not in the desktop app.
An update for that would be welcome!

Any updates to this? We need the same functionality where we create a link which opens a folder within folder explorer.

Wondering what the status of this is. I see the request multiple times by users but no response from Monday.com that I can see. Is this a feature Monday is actually considering or no?

Same here - would be great to have that feature.