Linking Items Within The Same Board

I have a board with a huge amount of information on it and need to present the information in a number of ways. To do this, as the information is being categorised it is being moved - by automation - to separate groups on the same board.
It would be really useful if monday.com had the functionality to connect these items such that if there was a change to one item, this was reflected in its duplicate.

Hi @Alastair_Foggo !

What I might suggest to get the functionality that you are looking for is splitting your items by board instead of groups. So each group would now be separated by a board instead and then you would use the automation "When Status changes to something create item in board. Then in the connect boards, you can mirror over the information from the original board.

This is to fix your current issue, but it’s not great scalability because there is a limit of 20 connections to 1 board. Just be cautious of that!

Hope this helps!

Thanks for this advice.

image001.png

image002.jpg

image003.png

1 Like

I just want to reference items that are related/dependent in the same board, I’m not looking for automations. For example, I have a group called Escalations that has other tasks/programs/projects in the same board that are dependent but I can’t easily reference them in a column. The Link column type doesn’t work as you can only add one link.

It’s already possible to use a Connect Boards column to link to items on the same board. Is that what you need? Then use the Mirror column to display info from the connected item on the first item.

I’m just looking to connect items on the same board in different groups, as opposed to seperate boards. For example I have a group called ‘Escalations’ that has relationships with another group in the same board called ‘Leadership Tasks’, I need to reference the ‘Leadership Tasks’ group from the ‘Escalations’ group.

Okay, you are able to do that, have you tried it out?

You can reference one item to another item with the Connect Boards column. You cannot reference groups, groups are just a text label that bundle together a bunch of items.

1 Like

I’m having issues with this as well. While I’m able to create a connected board to the same board I’m working in (linking epics to higher level initiatives) I am unable to mirror any column. Essentially, I’m trying to roll up a status column to display progress across the linked epics. I’m getting looping errors which prevents me from mirroring any column. None work.

Hi

I’ve had this email below to explain how to do it properly. Perhaps it might help?

image001.png

image002.jpg

image003.png

To work around the looping error, you could have separate boards for Epics, High Level Initiatives, Tasks, etc. This would also let you setup unique columns for each type of thing.