More colors in status column

We use status columns for alot of things, and a few times now I have run out of colors to choose from. I do not necessarily want to switch this to a dropdown column, as that can be a bit too unwieldy for my users. Just curious why the color palette stopped at 40 and not more?

@travis.mcclellan

The color pallet was actually extended to 40 sometime last year I think. I would imagine its in the works to add more, although I know nothing of the requirements or limitations that comes with it.

@TRB-monday.com Might be able to shed light on if this is in the works or not.

The option to add custom colors (using hex codes or something) would also make this more customizable!

Iā€™m also curious, though, why the colors are listed in a seemingly random order? In some cases I want to use a gradient, or pick a specific shade, and itā€™s hard to search for ā€œjust the right blueā€ when theyā€™re all over the place.

10 Likes

Hey @travis.mcclellan, @andrewalmand, and @ajwhitman!

Like Andrew mentioned, we did extend the labels to 40 earlier this year. Iā€™m checking with our team to see if more are in the works and will let you know!

Another option depending on your teamā€™s preferences could also be the tags column, which is visual/colorful like the status column: The Tags Column.

1 Like

Hey all! Just wanted to follow up on this: we arenā€™t currently planning to add more labels (itā€™s not on our roadmap right now), but Iā€™ve passed your feedback to the team and will let you know if I get any updates!

@travis.mcclellan @andrewalmand @ajwhitman

For our purposes, there a MORE than enough colors. However, it would be great if colors could be assigned to more that one label.

@TRB-monday.com

6 Likes

@JCorrell

Good point! Likewise itā€™s not the color options that limit us, but the number of labels being tied to the colors. Since that number limits automation options, colors being assigned to more than 1 label would solve that for me at least.

1 Like

Absolutely.
For example lets say I have a status column with the result of a deal offer.
There are several statuses that might mean the deal failed or has been closed.
The client would like to have the same color for all the ā€œwon/closedā€ statuses, and another color for all the ā€œlost/no goā€ ones.
Today we would have to add a specific status column and automation rules to get that data on the groups and boards summary rows.

1 Like

Yep I definitely need this. Right now I just use two very similar colors but I am not a fan.

1 Like

seconding (thirding?) this ā€“ itā€™s frustrating having the amount of sorting I can do being arbitrarily capped at 40 items just because colors are non-reusable.

1 Like

Instead of adding more colors, why not make a HEX color picker for us to choose
Hex_Color_Picker
?

2 Likes

Agreed and I want the ability to use the same color for multiple statuses. It should be up to us if that makes sense for our workflow. When you have a status that has multiple options, it can look like crap. I want to be able to bunch similar statuses together (Paid Social, Org Social)

3 Likes

Would add that adding customizable colors, to be able to use our branded pallette would make this tool much more appealing to our leadership team and sharing with clients.

Please reconsider adding the feature to choose your own colors.

I was unaware of the colour limit! For the way we use monday at the moment this is crucial to have a lot more colours! Fingers it goes into the road map soon :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I agree that this feature is of much greater importance to users than itā€™s being given.

The limited amount of label colors is a big disappointment. Users need to create custom colours through a simple RGB/HEX code picker/input, similar to the already existing ā€œColor Pickerā€ column feature.

Custom colours need to be saved as a master colour and be accessible for all users and all functions so users donā€™t have to create the same colour across different functions within the account.

The ā€œRedā€ label colour isnā€™t even close to red RGB red, and there only one ā€œRedā€ to choose from. This isnā€™t acceptable and has led to confusion and productivity issue due to the lack of intuitiveness of the limited colour option that users are forced to use.

We donā€™t need more colours, we need control over the colours we can create ourselves. Please make this a priority.

5 Likes

Further to this, it would be to select ā€˜no colourā€™ to a given value so the cell is the same colour as the rest of the row.
We use a status column for any category where we want to restrict choice to 1 value, and having a multitude of colours makes it look very confusing without providing useful info.

Rather than having a preset number of colors to select from when coloring statuses, group names, etc. Monday should either replace the pregenerated ones with an RGB/Hex code input format allowing us to pick our own colors, or integrate that alongside the color presets.

1 Like

Same. I am severely limited by 40 colors. @MondayDevs: Please let us have an unlimited amount of labels in the status column.

2 Likes

Same! Would love the feature of being able to create our own colors for brand consistency.

1 Like

This really needs to be an option. What we use the status column for is linked to a different platform. Changing the column type to a dropdown is a huge undertaking. We have been using Monday since 2019 and it is disappointing that something as simple as adding more colors has not been implemented.