Notify Automation only triggering on manual status change

We have set up an automation that alerts a specific sub team whenever a subitem’s RAG status changes to Alert. This status can change to Alert either through another automation based on certain conditions or manually by a team member.

Today, I observed that the notification automation works correctly when I manually change the RAG status to Alert. However, when the RAG status is updated through the other automation, the alert is triggered, but no notification is actually sent to the sub team.

Has anyone else experienced this issue before?

Hey Matt. It could be that your automation recipe is too specific maybe? It only triggers when the subitem RAG status changes from On-Track to Alert, and if you are going from another status to Alert it will not fire. Could that be the issue?

Hey Laura. I did wonder that, but there are only the three statuses. Currently the seperate automation that puts a subitem into RAG of Alert after 2 weeks will trigger the notification automation even if the RAG was already in Alert (basically moving from Alert to Alert), so I added ths extra condition to prevent false reporting.

Ok I have a thought about how you could make sure your notification automation triggers when you want it to but not when you don’t:

If you set your notification automation to:
When subitem RAG changes to Alert then notify Product Leads

And set your Alert after 2 weeks automation to:
2 weeks after [date] arrives and only if subitem RAG is not Alert then set subitem RAG to Alert.

I think this would solve your issue of the notification automation being able to be triggered manually and when your “2-weeks after” automation sets the RAG status to Alert, but the notification automation WON’T fire if it’s two weeks after your date and the RAG status is already Alert.