Querying Formula column values

Just curious if there are plans to support querying Formula column values via API. I don’t see anything on the Roadmap board. I see another post from a year ago. Is this not on the radar? It would be extremely useful!

Hello there @jsararas!

Our team knows that this is a feature that would be beneficial to some users and it is being taken into account :slightly_smiling_face:

Having said that, it is not something that is set for the nearest future.

I will add your vote to it!

If this is deployed, it will be posted in our changelog

Cheers,
Matias

1 Like

Hello here,

Getting the calculated values is only the first step in my (experienced) opinion.

You want to be able to use the calculated data as any other data from an other column.

Most of the time it means handling it as a specific kind of data: Date, Number, People, Text, etc.

If you just get the values without that Data Type context you will still be limited, although less than today of course.

Please consider voting for this feature that explains how to achieve this:

Kind Regards,
Laurent, CRM & monday.com dev (and previously BI Analyst)

2 Likes

@LaurentConroux This is a real gap in the API’s capabilities. We need to be able to get the value calculated in a formula column. Why would we set up formulas that we then can’t get the results of with the API? That means we have to replicate a calculation in another platform. This issue has been brought up several times in the past several years. Any progress?

Only monday knows, but most of us are waiting for it.

Apologies @LaurentConroux I thought from your signature that you were a dev at Monday.com working on this, but yea we’re in the same boat it seems.

Hello @lebmelvin!

This feature request has been shared with our team and each vote to it has been added.

Having said that, I do not have an ETA on when this could change.

If it does, you will see it in our changelog.

Cheers,
Matias

Hi @Matias.Monday, @lebmelvin, @LaurentConroux & @jsararas!

I’ve created an endpoint that returns all the formulas values and also handles heavy payloads of over 2000 items per board.

Here a quick guide:
https://monday.formrally.com/mondayapibalancer/

I really hope this helps

This is an age old feature request. For a platform that prides itself on being programmable it’s quite odd that we can’t use the results of our formulas programmatically.
After all this time the answer may just be it’s not in their best interest to give us this feature.
It is in our best interest to help each other find a platform that allows this feature. Please let the rest of us know if you find anything.

Is there any new word on this feature request?

I just discovered this problem as I am trying to automate more functions with the use of Python.

1 Like

As far as I know, the only solution right now is the General Caster add-on. The cost of the add-on for an operation of my size is prohibitive for a feature that should be baked in. I really hope the team is still working on this, and not satisfied with an expensive (and unsupported) add-on as a ‘solution’.

Adding my vote to this. With all due respect, it’s downright GOOFY that the Monday team hasn’t done this yet. Bordering on silly, even. Please develop this.

Hello there,

Thank you for your feedback!

I have added your vote for this request :slightly_smiling_face:

Cheers,
Matias

Thanks Matias, but what can you tell us about timeline & priority? It’s just coming up constantly in my automation solutions.

@Matias.Monday Maybe you could share briefly what are the technical challenges (or other barriers) involved in implementing this. What seems simple and obvious may in fact be an architectural nightmare, but knowing this would go along way to reduce frustration amongst users.

Hello @jsararas,

In this case, the result of the formula column is client-sided which means that it does not “live” in our server, from there that it is not a value that can be retrieved right now via API.

While this is in our R&D team’s backlog, I do not have an ETA on when this could be implemented nor I have any information about the technical challenge/difficulty it has for the R&D team.

Our team takes into account multiple factors when prioritizing requests such as impact and effort. Each request is reviewed and compared with other requests but we do not share this process and the order of prioritization publicly.

If there is any change regarding this request, it will be announced in our changelog.

Cheers,
Matias

@Matias.Monday Thanks for the clarification on this.

1 Like

Our company is also interested in this feature. We need the values of the formulas for automation

Hello @toannguyen-cit,

Thank you for your feedback!

I have added your vote for this request :grin:

Cheers,
Matias

This is a much needed feature - I’m running in to many frustrations trying to use monday within my organisation, and not being able to query the calculated value for a field is a big gap. I appreciate the technicalities of the fact that the value is calculated client side, and in my opinion that decision was incredibly flawed - the impact for users is that monday can not be used as a source of truth