Relative due date of subitem based on item date column

Hi, My company is trying to get setup on Monday.com and while many things are fairly intuitive and are coming together easily, there are a handful of seemingly very basic project management processes that I just can’t seem to figure out how to automate here. Before anyone suggests integromat or zapier, please know that we are a small company, so paying for an external automation system on top of what we are already paying for Monday.com is simply not an option for us.

My current hangup is on setting due dates; Specifically due dates on subitems that are relative to the item creation date or an item date column. something like:

“When item moved to board create subitem and set subitem duedate to item Date date plus some days”

This seems like such a simple and basic operation that I have to be missing something or not seeing an automation template somewhere? I could use a formula column for this, but we need these due dates to show on a calendar view and have notifications, which is not possible with the formula column to my understanding. Any guidance or help is very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan

4 Likes

Hey Dan!

This should actually be coming in the next couple months, as we’re working on mapping subitem → item fields (and vice versa) to allow for convert subitem/item and item/subitem. When we have that functionality in place, you should be able to map values from either subitem to item in automations like what you’re looking to do!

Here’s our subitem roadmap for what’s upcoming.

https://view.monday.com/480751376-c22b2fe6c069076f55f20289b4d3f04f

@TCanDaMan any updates on this functionality?
I’d love to be able to drop a date from item to sub-item so I can run my dependencies properly. Even better would be direct dependency of sub-items to item date!

5 Likes

Hi @jcjohns :wave:

I’m afraid we don’t have a specific ETA for this update, as our feature updates are highly subject to change and are ultimately decided by our product team.

As @TCanDaMan mentioned, you can keep up to date with our roadmap for the subitems here: Subitems Product Plan

We are looking to roll out more support for subitem automations but these will be coming in increments.
That said, we do now have support for converting items to subitems and vice versa, and you can create subitems via automations when items are created, which may go some way to helping make your workflow easier.

I can definitely appreciate how this specific update would be a useful addition to the platform for yourself, and I’m sure for other teams too, so I would highly recommend opening a thread in our Feature Request section.
Here other users who would also like this added to the platform will be able to upvote the feature!
You can find this here: Submit an Idea - monday Community Forum

Best,
Dani

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.