Resource Capacity Per Employee

I would like to be able to set the capacity for each individual resource that is assigned to my project. This value will potentially be different for each resource and could change throughout a project.

So really two questions:

1. How can I have a resource (John)'s available hours be 20 per week, and another resource (Mary)'s be 10 per week?

2. Is there a way to vary a resources capacity so that this week, a resource (John) works 10 hours this week, and 20 hours the next week?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Chris

Hi @ChrisM - I dont believe the current Workload functionality allows for capacity to be set via column and only a hard value across all resources.

There is also an (amazing!) app called Team View, which does a fantastic job of visualizing workload:

However, I believe capacity is used in a similar way.

A different way to look at it and what we have done in the past, is represent utilization per project as a percent. Then using the timeline column associated with the project calculate out the effort based on length of time of the initiative along with it’s associated % utilization. This can then be displayed on the Workload view/widget.

For example, we have a Timeline column Est. Completion (date) and % Util (number) and calculate out the effort with a formula like so (the formula is complex as we may have projects spanning years):

IF(YEAR({Est. Completion}) <> YEAR({Timeline#Start}),(MONTH({Est. Completion})-MONTH({Timeline#Start})+12){% Util},(MONTH({Est. Completion})-MONTH({Timeline#Start})+1){% Util})

We then use this formula column as our effort identifier.

Hope this helps!
Mark

Hi @ChrisM :wave:

@mark.anley has some great suggestions here!

I would like to add that you can use the workload widget to set a capacity per person from within the widget settings:

This would allow you to have your resource capacity set per employee rather than one capacity set to each user.

If you wanted to vary this each week, you would need to update this in the same settings panel, although this would change the capacity retro-actively too.
I can definitely appreciate how this would be a useful addition to the platform for yourself, and I’m sure for other teams too, so I would highly recommend opening a thread in our Feature Request section.
Here other users who would also like this added to the platform will be able to upvote the feature!
You can find this here: Submit an Idea - monday Community Forum

I hope this helps! Remember to mark as solved if this answers your question :slightly_smiling_face:
Best,
Dani

The Workload Widget has its limitations as the number does not work for the Month view. And the Month View is often the one you need when you are looking at capacity planning i.e. not sprints as that is in the detail of the work / task management not capacity planning.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.